What's new

RT-N66U firmware 3.0.0.4.374.720 released

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Relentless

Occasional Visitor
RT-N66U firmware 3.0.0.4.374.720 released on American region of Asus website.
I am not sure what is meant by "1.All new web interface" as I have not had time to test. Does it mean new interface for the router or just AiCloud?

ASUS RT-N66U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.374.720
Please note: This version add many new features, please press the reset button more than 5 seconds to reset the RT-N66U after firmware upgraded to prevent unexpected problem.

AiCloud 2.0 released
1.All new web interface
2. Support video subtitles (.srt format) For better video compatibility, windows user need to update VLC to v2.0.8 or later
3. File/ folder can be shared to Facebook(router must have public IP)
4. Supported mobile version web interface
5. Supported router to router sync
Please refer to video via:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG6BEjUrzfc&feature=share&list=UUlSsNTCjMEGj8Guo_NmiMWA
6. Fixed smartsync related issues.

Add:
1. Repeater mode( in Administration --> Operation mode)
2. Dual WAN (in WAN -> Dual WAN)
3. Unmount all disks with 1-click
4. Disk scan feature. It is in external USB disk status tab in network map.
5. Support Sandisk Cruzer flash drive with both CD-ROM and flash disk interface.
6. Auto adjust time zone in internet setup wizard process.
7. PPTP VPN server status GUI
8. Recognized .rmvb files as video format in media server.
9. Show more detail information in USB application install process.

Fixed:
1. Upgraded to SDK6 driver to fix 5GHz connection issue.
2. Fixed HK ISP DHCP connection issue.
3. Fixed USB application update related issues.
4. Reduced the redundant packets when used 3G/4G dongle as WAN and opened web browser.
5. Fixed the traffic monitor related issues when used 3G/4G dongle as WAN,
6. Fixed client duplicated issue in network map
7. removed modem setting button in AP mode
8. Fixed IE related parental control issue.
9. Disabled the Broadcom ACSD service to prevent buffer overflow vulnerabilities.
10. Fixed AiCloud vulnerability related bugs.
11. Underline "_" can now be acceptable in device name and computer name.
12. Hide Broadcast option in PPTP VPN server when it is disabled.
13. Fixed multicast IPTV related issues in PPPoE/PPTP/L2TP connection.
14 .Fixed parental control offset issue in IE.
15. Fixed 3G dongle related issue.
16. Hide ASUS DDNS description when selecting 3rd party service.
17. Fixed script error 'invalid argument on IE'
18. Fixed smart sync JS error
19. Fixed JST time zone issue.

IPv6
1. Fixed PPP IPv6 global address retrieval
2. added DHCP-PD option
3. Added LAN DHCPv6 server
4. Added network status GUI.
5. Added option domain name if available

3G/4G dongles
1. Support Yota LTE dongle LU150
2. Support ZTE LTE dongle MF821
3. Support 3G dongle Q110
4. Support Huawei EC306

Everything under the "AiCloud 2.0 released" header is specific to AiCloud. So yes, the new web interface is for AiCloud.

All good here except my Nexus 4 but I am 95% sure there is a bug with 5 GHz Wifi in 4.3. Connections are stronger than ever! Macbook Pro used to get ~243 Mbps and its now getting a steady 300 - its max.

I had to reset the router and clear Wi-Fi profiles to get normal speeds though. Just a heads up.

Last edited:
I've been using this firmware today, just checking out the wireless and so on. Seems good, no connectivity problems here, but the 2.4GHz. wireless seems to have lost a little with this one. 5GHz. seems fine, about where it has been, but 2.4GHz. not so good. It also varies more than I recall previous firmware doing, at least the RMerlin firmware with the older wireless driver. Maybe I'm just noticing the variations more, since the average level is lower...

Anyone else have any comments on this firmware version?

RT-N66U firmware 3.0.0.4.374.720 released on American region of Asus website.
I am not sure what is meant by "1.All new web interface" as I have not had time to test. Does it mean new interface for the router or just AiCloud?

Does anyone use AiCloud? They only give you 5gb of cloud sync/storage for free anyway, w/ 500mb @ day download cap (at least that's what the admin page says). Above that it's paid (Asus router owners get a 30% discount).

And the router sync feature? I guarantee that wasn't in the suggestion box!

I guess they're just playing cloud catch up, I just don't know why anyone would want to use AiCloud storage when things like Dropbox, Box.com, Copy.com do as much or more, for free, and are baked into many more devices/apps/etc.

Does anyone use AiCloud? They only give you 5gb of cloud sync/storage for free anyway, w/ 500mb @ day download cap (at least that's what the admin page says). Above that it's paid (Asus router owners get a 30% discount).

And the router sync feature? I guarantee that wasn't in the suggestion box!

I guess they're just playing cloud catch up, I just don't know why anyone would want to use AiCloud storage when things like Dropbox, Box.com, Copy.com do as much or more, for free, and are baked into many more devices/apps/etc.

You are confusing AiCloud with Asuswebstorage. Asuwebstorage is their cloud storage service, which has existed for years.

AiCloud is the router technology that includes the following features:

- Easy remote access to the shares on your home network while outside of home (for example, I once connected my Xoom Android tablet to a friend's TV over HDMI, and we watched a Simpsons episode that was saved on my PC back home, streamed through AiCloud)

- Capacity to remotely wake a computer at home (mostly handy for the remote access feature)

- Automatically backup a folder stored on a USB disk, into Asuswebstorage

I'd say that, amongst the router manufacturers I have played with, Asus is the one that brought the most useful cloud integration to their router. No gimicky cloud-based configuration like Linksys decided to implement - AiCloud is genuinely useful if you want your files to be available wherever you are WITHOUT having to upload it all to a cloud service. Think of AiCloud as your own personal cloud at home.

You are confusing AiCloud with Asuswebstorage. Asuwebstorage is their cloud storage service, which has existed for years.

AiCloud is the router technology that includes the following features:

- Easy remote access to the shares on your home network while outside of home (for example, I once connected my Xoom Android tablet to a friend's TV over HDMI, and we watched a Simpsons episode that was saved on my PC back home, streamed through AiCloud)

- Capacity to remotely wake a computer at home (mostly handy for the remote access feature)

- Automatically backup a folder stored on a USB disk, into Asuswebstorage

I'd say that, amongst the router manufacturers I have played with, Asus is the one that brought the most useful cloud integration to their router. No gimicky cloud-based configuration like Linksys decided to implement - AiCloud is genuinely useful if you want your files to be available wherever you are WITHOUT having to upload it all to a cloud service. Think of AiCloud as your own personal cloud at home.

Thank you for the bullet points Merlin, I appreciate it. Personally, I think I am covered, but I see the consumer value.

If I seem bitter, it's probably still the fallout from the debacle that ensued with the purchase of a non-V.32bis standards compliant 9600 baud modem circa 1993. ;) I was out like $250, and at the end of the day it really only worked like a 2400 baud modem.

<snip snip snip> Think of AiCloud as your own personal cloud at home.

I will only think of it as that once you get named Asus Honorary Employee of the year, and you get to start naming the f/ws after Canadian towns and/or desserts. Until then, I will just think of it as a personalizable cloud option. :p

Also I haven't loaded this f/w yet, I'm on 3.0.0.4.374.32-MW, but as a somewhat OCD person I decided to make a spreadsheet and start recording some actual measurements, wifi, intra & inter-net. . .just some very basic stuff, but it would at least give me an immediate understanding of what improvement and/or potential regression I personally see (features aside, obviously just measuring quantifiable performance).

This is just a rough draft and it's really just intended for my personal reference (rather unscientific), I have put a total of about 18 minutes of thought and effort into it, I might grab another measurement (location in my home) or two before I do next f/w though. I'm a geek, I like #s. . .heck, that's one of the reasons I like SNB so much, great reviews with lots of testing! And it'll be nice to stay on top of this SDK6 thing and all that.

On google drive, shared openly if anyone wants to see or has a tip for me of something I can easily track that's useful:
http://bit.ly/PrivateJokerWifi

Last edited:
and you get to start naming the f/ws after Canadian towns and/or desserts. Until then, I will just think of it as a personalizable cloud option. :p

Hey, Pixie Dust was a good one (even tho it turned into a name after I half seriously used it as a reference LOL).

I've been using this firmware today, just checking out the wireless and so on. Seems good, no connectivity problems here, but the 2.4GHz. wireless seems to have lost a little with this one. 5GHz. seems fine, about where it has been, but 2.4GHz. not so good. It also varies more than I recall previous firmware doing, at least the RMerlin firmware with the older wireless driver. Maybe I'm just noticing the variations more, since the average level is lower...

Anyone else have any comments on this firmware version?

This firmware seems a bit weaker signal compared to Merlin's .33 but not much in the 2.4GHz band. It's more comparable to the 5.110 SDK in my estimation.

This firmware seems a bit weaker signal compared to Merlin's .33 but not much in the 2.4GHz band. It's more comparable to the 5.110 SDK in my estimation.

I've gone back to 374.33_beta1 since I find that its 2.4GHz. wireless is enough better to make it worth my while to stay with it.

To date, looks like I'm stuck with firmware with the older wireless driver, unless Asus improves their current driver. Hope so, but I'm not holding my breath. Good thing that I save old firmware *smile*.

I've gone back to 374.33_beta1 since I find that its 2.4GHz. wireless is enough better to make it worth my while to stay with it.

To date, looks like I'm stuck with firmware with the older wireless driver, unless Asus improves their current driver. Hope so, but I'm not holding my breath. Good thing that I save old firmware *smile*.

Yeah I think this new firmware is a good workaround, but hopefully they do SDK7. I'm not sure who botched the .3xx SDK5 (Asus or Broadcom or who needs to pay for it), but they really need to start over from scratch, imo. I mean, 354 beta was back in March and they knew they had problems over 6 months ago.

For me, this firmware has a 30 percent slower file transfer speed than Merlin beta .33.
And 2.4 Ghz is very, very slightly weaker and 5 Ghz is much weaker, but still decent.
When I tried Merlins experimental SDK6, it actually had a 10 percent faster file transfer speed than Merlin .32 (270 driver). So something got lost in the shuffle. I don't think it's a 5Ghz issue because I tested with 40 Mhz 2.4 Ghz and had the exact same 30 percent reduction. (using the same 359 MB test file in all tests)

What kind of wireless file copy speeds did you get? 5 Ghz? 2.4 Ghz?
Or if anyone else tested wireless file copy speeds with this firmware, please post results and what firmware you're comparing it with. faster? slower? same?

Asus appears to be going forward with SDK 6 now that they have released with one. I'm sure Asus would want to improve it more now that the feet is wet.:)

Sometimes, you have to chose between speed and connectivity/stability when dealing with these kind of things. It can be a trade-off.

The SDK6 driver has a couple of additional tweaks on the Professional tab - I would take a look at these and see if any of these could help. Tho I think most of them are related to the 5 GHz band.

5 GHz has always been broke for me with Asus firmware. Gonna try this one later on and see how it works. I see many comments that the wireless signal has gone down on both bands. When is Asus gonna get this right? I love this router and hate to have to trade it in.

Sometimes, you have to chose between speed and connectivity/stability when dealing with these kind of things. It can be a trade-off.

The SDK6 driver has a couple of additional tweaks on the Professional tab - I would take a look at these and see if any of these could help. Tho I think most of them are related to the 5 GHz band.

Yes, there are two new options in the wireless section for both bands. Can we read somewhere what the options does?

Attachments

• amdpu.jpg
    amdpu.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 745
RMerlin, is this firmware one that you are going to develop on?

New Asus RT-N66U firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.720

Hi,

For those of you, who haven't noticed yet. If you do check and see nothing new, try choosing different OS under droplist, back and forth until the view is updated. Now for me it shows 2 items under Firmware.

I have installed it immediately, for me personally, it works great (2x iphone4's, iphone 5, brother wireless laser printer HL-2170w, Dell xps 13", samsung LED TV S8000, Qnap NAS TS-112).

Since 374.257 firmware, I've haven't had a single drop on my Samsung TV on 5 Ghz band, which untill that was impossible. Had that record building for some 20 days, but yesterday made upgrade to this newest firmware, we'll see, how it goes.

Yes, there are two new options in the wireless section for both bands. Can we read somewhere what the options does?

Hover the mouse pointer over the field name.

RMerlin, is this firmware one that you are going to develop on?

I always merge new versions into my code once Asus releases the source code.

As for the driver, yes, I will be switching officially to that new SDK as well.