What's new

RT-N66U frozen / won't reset

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I've been looking at several RT-AC68Us going for auction... still have a few I'm watching. They seem to be going for around £70 to 80 used, even £90-100 in some cases... and there are new ones being listed for around £115... So, I'm still watching the auctions, wondering whether I'd be better off spending £75 used, or an extra £40 for a new one...
There's also this RT-AC87U come up:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/2541230675...&rk=8&rkt=30&sd=273696886230&itm=254123067589
...and wondering whether the RT-AC87U would be better than the RT-AC68U
Thoughts?

Myself, I always insist on a new product in an unopened box.

In your situation? Consider that if that £75 was being possibly 'wasted', would you be able to afford another (used or new)? £40 more is a good chunk of change, but I would rather save up than have ongoing suspicions with each bug or glitch I had with a used and possibly abused (or even fake) unit.

I would really not consider the RT-AC87U over the RT-AC68U (even when they were both newly introduced so many years ago now). A very fragile and temperamental unit vs. the AC68U. While it may perform flawlessly in your specific network environment, there is also a good chance it won't.

OK, maybe I'm just an old miser but I do ocassionly buy stuff on EBay. My 68U was purchased on EBay but was a buy it now sale, not an auction. I tend to avoid auctions as you tend to pay more than you may have intended to. It's the I'm gonna win this auction no matter what it takes mentality. Anyway, the 68U I received was in pristine condition. In the original box with all the original stuff, neatly arranged in the original packaging. The only way one could tell it was used is the factory seal was broken. That was maybe three years ago. Take time to research the seller, how long has he or she been an eBay and how many transaction have they completed, and yes look at there rating. Especially the negative feedback and see if there is a recurring problem. Everyone gets a bum deal now and then. Although I have no experience with the 87U, judging from the remarks here in the forum I would definitely go with the 68U, new or used.

Well well...
I put the RT-N66U outside, in a log store by the rubbish bins, last week, so it was dry but had a few cold nights... I kept the power adaptor in case useful as a spare.
After reading your two latest replies, I checked out Merlin's new thread (Feb15) here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

So, I thought I might as well give the N66U one last try holding the WPS button in instead of the reset button while powering on... I thought I'd tried that before, but you never know a few nights out in the cold might have brought the old router to it's senses... ;-)
It bloody worked..!! Up and running... I'm using it now..! :)

And the really weird thing..? It doesn't seem to have done a (complete) factory reset (unless I've not understood what that does): it's still running Asuswrt-Merlin 380.70...

Thanks for all the input guys... I'll certainly keep the RT-AC68U in mind for any future upgrade, but I'll keep using this N66U now it's decided to work again..! :)
Ian

Oh, okay, I did misunderstand what the factory reset does:

From Merlin's thread:
Factory default reset: before, or after flashing?

Since the goal is to use the NEW default values that are included in the NEW firmware, the factory default reset must be done while the NEW firmware is already flashed. Doing so before flashing will leave you running the OLD default values.

So each firmware version has it's own defaults which are retained in a factory reset... it doesn't revert the firmware... (is that right..?)

Last edited:
So each firmware version has it's own defaults which are retained in a factory reset...
Reset to their default values, not retained. If the old values are still there you haven't done it right (or there's a problem with the router).
it doesn't revert the firmware... (is that right..?)
Correct. It doesn't change the firmware.

Last edited:
Correct, a factory reset simply puts the router's currently installed firmware in a good/known state. This should be followed by a minimal and manual install and at the minimum new SSID's too (you can still use the old passwords if you like).

Btw, that RMerlin thread is from 2015. ;)

The RT-N66U has been working fine, but I kept an eye on the RT-AC68Us coming up for auction...
There was a one day auction on this one
It looked good so I put a comparatively low speculative bid on it - and it won..!
£67 including postage... the last two used ones have gone for £84 + postage over the last couple of days, so that seems pretty good :)

The RT-N66U has been working fine, but I kept an eye on the RT-AC68Us coming up for auction...
There was a one day auction on this one
It looked good so I put a comparatively low speculative bid on it - and it won..!
£67 including postage... the last two used ones have gone for £84 + postage over the last couple of days, so that seems pretty good :)

;)

Last edited:
Yep, Martin, that certainly worked out well..! :D
Arrived this morning, excellent condition, setup and running very quick and easy...
Updated to latest Asus stock firmware 3.0.0.4.384_45149, then to Merlin 384.9
Sweet :)
Thanks again for all the help here, folks..!
Ian

Last edited:
Yep, Martin, that certainly worked out well..! :D:)
Arrived this morning, excellent condition, setup and running very quick and easy... updated to latest (Asus stock) firmware 3.0.0.4.384_45149
...so now to install Asuswrt-Merlin I guess
Any tips..? Anything I should do before that..?
Ian

I’m glad yiu asked: if you follow L&LD’s famous guide, you won’t go wrong:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/n...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

You’ve made a wise choice: I’m sure you won’t regret it. And, if you have poor wireless coverage perhaps you could use the old router as a wireless access point?

Great, thanks Martin... for some reason I didn't see your reply before editing my last... I'd already updated firmware to Merlin 384.9 before seeing this, but I'll check out L&LD's guide anyway.
I'll probably put the N66U in the cabin for friends and guests staying there - I imagine it might be better than the TP-Link extender / repeater I've got out there at the moment
Ian

Great, thanks Martin... for some reason I didn't see your reply before editing my last... I'd already updated firmware to Merlin 384.9 before seeing this, but I'll check out L&LD's guide anyway.
I'll probably put the N66U in the cabin for friends and guests staying there - I imagine it might be better than the TP-Link extender / repeater I've got out there at the moment
Ian
Thanks for the feedback, Ian. I’m sure your RT-AC68U will give you sterling service. Make a note of L&LD’s guide in eg browser bookmarks so that next time Merlin mandates a factory reset, you can fall back on the guide.

Updated to latest Asus stock firmware 3.0.0.4.384_45149, then to Merlin 384.9
Sweet :)
Thanks again for all the help here, folks..!
Ian

Just a note that moving from Asus stock to RMerlin firmware (after flashing RMerlin onto your router) is when you want to do a full reset to factory defaults. It won't reset to Asus' firmware, rather, it ensures that the RMerlin firmware is starting at a good/known spot ('clean').

Further firmware updates using the same fork may not need a reset to factory defaults in the future (make sure to read the changelogs). But moving from stock to RMerlin or vice versa does.