What's new

RT-N66U not giving full gigabit download speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Larceny

Occasional Visitor
I got a 1000 Mbps line since a couple of weeks and I use the Asus RT-N66U.
But what strikes me is that the upload speed is constantly 940 Mbps while the download speed fluctuates between 800 and 840 Mbps.
Does anyone have any idea if any setting needs to be changed to get the full 940 Mbps download speed?

I'm using Merlin version 380.70.

Attachments

• speedtest.png
    speedtest.png
    374.6 KB · Views: 401
How are you testing those speeds? Are you using multiple speed testing sites?

What scripts, options or features are you using or have enabled on the RT-N66U?

I would recommend running a more current firmware instead for your main router. @john9527's RMerlin fork is where I would be looking. It may or may not solve your speed issues, but it will be a more secure and up-to-date firmware for your digital front door.

Those speeds may be the maximum your router is capable of. They are still very decent and with great (low) latency too!

I got a 1000 Mbps line since a couple of weeks and I use the Asus RT-N66U.
But what strikes me is that the upload speed is constantly 940 Mbps while the download speed fluctuates between 800 and 840 Mbps.
Does anyone have any idea if any setting needs to be changed to get the full 940 Mbps download speed?

I'm using Merlin version 380.70.
That's because the WAN port is 1Gbps, you'll need a router with a WAN/LAN ports with higher speed than 1Gbps.
There's is some network overhead taking bandwidth too that you don't see.
I think there are just 2 ASUS models which has 2.5gbps WAN ports to support Gigabit ISP connections

So don't expect to get more than what you are getting right now using that router

That's because the WAN port is 1Gbps, you'll need a router with a WAN/LAN ports with higher speed than 1Gbps.
There's is some network overhead taking bandwidth too that you don't see.
I think there are just 2 ASUS models which has 2.5gbps WAN ports to support Gigabit ISP connections

So don't expect to get more than what you are getting right now using that router

While there is packet overhead he should still be able to hit 930-950Mbps which Is what I can do on my connection. A 2.5Gbps Wan port is not necessary for that.

How are you testing those speeds? Are you using multiple speed testing sites?

What scripts, options or features are you using or have enabled on the RT-N66U?

I would recommend running a more current firmware instead for your main router. @john9527's RMerlin fork is where I would be looking. It may or may not solve your speed issues, but it will be a more secure and up-to-date firmware for your digital front door.

Those speeds may be the maximum your router is capable of. They are still very decent and with great (low) latency too!

I used speedtest.net. I believe it's the most accurate speed tester. If it's not, feel free to give me suggestions.

I'm not running any scripts, options or features on the router. For the most part I disabled most of it's features, like QoS, WiFi (both 2.4 and 5ghz), Share (Samba) and DLNA Media Server.

I've looked into John's firmware, but you can't flash it using the GUI. That's what's been holding me back from updating. I'm not that experienced with flashing firmware apart from using the GUI. I'm scared of potentially bricking the router.

I just don't understand why my upload speed is giving me the full 940 Mbps, while my download speed does not go past ~840 Mbps.
If my upload speed can reach 940 Mbps, my download speed should be able to, right?
If there is any setting I should change to improve my download speed, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Thanks.

Attachments

• speedtest2.png
    speedtest2.png
    335.5 KB · Views: 311
I used speedtest.net. I believe it's the most accurate speed tester. If it's not, feel free to give me suggestions.

I'm not running any scripts, options or features on the router. For the most part I disabled most of it's features, like QoS, WiFi (both 2.4 and 5ghz), Share (Samba) and DLNA Media Server.

I've looked into John's firmware, but you can't flash it using the GUI. That's what's been holding me back from updating. I'm not that experienced with flashing firmware apart from using the GUI. I'm scared of potentially bricking the router.

I just don't understand why my upload speed is giving me the full 940 Mbps, while my download speed does not go past ~840 Mbps.
If my upload speed can reach 940 Mbps, my download speed should be able to, right?
If there is any setting I should change to improve my download speed, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Thanks.

If you have a ISP provided router or Gateway do you see the same speeds through that device?

While there is packet overhead he should still be able to hit 930-950Mbps which Is what I can do on my connection. A 2.5Gbps Wan port is not necessary for that.
Yes that's true, not the full Gbps I what I meant.
Sorry if I wrongly understood it

There is no single speed test site that is 'the best'. Use as many as you can and for showing if you can hit maximum speeds or not, if one shows it, then you can.

speedtest.net, fast.com, dslreports.com/speedtest, and many others. And don't forget to use different servers to test with too, if possible.

I just used the link above yesterday to 'recover' an RT-AC56U that had been flashed with all sorts of firmware, very badly. The power LED would light for up to 10 seconds, no Wi-Fi, no LAN, no other signs of life. Then, the power LED would be off and the router 'invisible'.

Download the Asus Firmware Restoration Tool first, download the firmware you want to flash, and follow the guide above. (Unplug the power, hold down the Reset button, and plug in the power plug. Wait ten seconds and the power LED should be flashing slowly. Use the installed utility below to upload the firmware you want to use).

And if it doesn't work out for you, you can always flash, back to the firmware you have now with the same steps.

And don't forget to use different servers to test with too, if possible.
Yes. This point is very important. I've attached a screenshot to visualize why.
4446E93C-BB8E-490A-8D44-6C8428452F78.jpeg

I like to hit up a bittorrent of a large linux distro. With so many concurrent connections you're kind of eliminating the possibility that there's an issue between you and the test server. If you're seeing asymetric speeds I would give some consideration to your ISP, too.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!