What's new

RT-N66U Sudden Drop in Signal Strength

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Desert Rat

New Around Here
Greetings. Long time lurker, first time poster.

After reading many reviews on this and other sites I finally decided to replace my 5 year old WRT-54GL with a new N66U. The router was purchased at the beginning of July from Amazon but was not taken out of the box until the beginning of August (kinda regretting that decision now.) I set up the router in the same location as the 54GL, mounted with the antennas facing up on a wall in my bedroom. The bedroom is cooled by refrigerated air and there is a ceiling fan running all the time.

While setting up the router I noticed that I was unable to get a connection to the router using an Ethernet cable (same cat5e cable that I had used on the 54 GL) and I had to connect wirelessly to the router using the default Admin login. I thought that was weird but didn't think much about it. The router came with 3.0.0.4.270 right out of the box.

I had a PS3, Kindle Fire HD, two android phones, an Android tablet and two Laptops connecting to the router with no problems for about 3 weeks and recently we added a 360 Slim to the network . Yesterday my wife tried going online and the 360 told her that there was no internet connection to the 360. She tried scanning for the SSID and it did not show up. I checked the laptop and it didnt find the SSID as well but it did find our neghoobors wifi. Went to the bedroom and Power cycled the router. No improvement. When placing the laptop about 5 ft from the router I did get 2 bars and got a slow internet connection wirelessly. Tried a wired connection to the router and it seems to connect my laptop to the internet fine. inSSIDer for home gives me a signal strength of -80 to -85 for the wireless connection. Before, it was more like in the low 30's I tried upgrading the firmware (3.0.0.4.374.257) and I tried Merlin's newest custom firmware. The wireless signal was still bad. With merlins firmware I did notice that the router temperature was at 50 and 60 degrees celcius. Right now I'm using the old 54Gl to connect wirelessly.

Before I give Asus a call I was wondering if there was anything i could do to fix the sudden loss of signal strength. I have a feeling that something must have shorted out in the router and its the cause of the bad signal. Also I'm using WPA2 aes encryption, tried setting channels 1,6, and 11, turned of 5ghz radio entirely. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

For wired-related issues, make sure you use Cat5e or Cat6 Ethernet cables. It's possible that any old cable you were using with the WRT54G was only Cat5 - those cables won't work reliably with the RT-N66U Gigabit ports. That applies to both LAN and WAN cables.

For the wifi issues, try flashing Asus's 3.0.0.4.276, then enable the option to "Optimize for XBox" on the Wireless configuration page. See if that helps.

Otherwise, make sure you set the 2.4 GHz band to only 20 MHz, as 40 MHz support is very difficult on the 2.4 GHz band due to the amount of interference on that band.

...For the wifi issues, try flashing Asus's 3.0.0.4.276, then enable the option to "Optimize for XBox" on the Wireless configuration page...

The Xbox option does not appear on 3.0.0.4.276 here.

The Xbox option does not appear on 3.0.0.4.276 here.

My bad. It was added in the 3xx series, not in 270. You will need 3.0.0.4.374 for this option.

Double checked to make sure everything was plugged in with a cat5e cord. Uploaded the 3.0.0.4.374 Firmware you recommended. Set the setting to 20mhz and even turned of the 5Ghz radio.

I don't seem to have any issues with a wired connection to the router but the router still only has a wireless range of about 5 feet. sitting next to the router, inSSIDer shows the signal strength at between -70 and -65. I did a ping of google and I'm getting back between 200 and 800ms. Once I connect to the wifi signal the connection is not bad. the problem is once I move away more than 5 feet the signal just drops. I also noticed that the router feels really hot on the surface.

Double checked to make sure everything was plugged in with a cat5e cord. Uploaded the 3.0.0.4.374 Firmware you recommended. Set the setting to 20mhz and even turned of the 5Ghz radio.

I don't seem to have any issues with a wired connection to the router but the router still only has a wireless range of about 5 feet. sitting next to the router, inSSIDer shows the signal strength at between -70 and -65. I did a ping of google and I'm getting back between 200 and 800ms. Once I connect to the wifi signal the connection is not bad. the problem is once I move away more than 5 feet the signal just drops. I also noticed that the router feels really hot on the surface.

Make sure the antennas are properly screwed in the back.

Otherwise, you might have a defective unit. I remember at least one user had the exact same problem as you (range was only a few feets), and it was resolved by exchanging the router. Could be a problem with the antenna wiring inside the router.

Temperature is probably normal - these routers do run hot.

I was just recently starting to have issues with signal dropping really low on (mostly 2.4ghz band) and reconnecting of some of my Android devices (5ghz band).

Yesterday I flashed the lasted 3xx (flashed over the latest 2xx) firmware and it is much better. So far no drop offs and now lost connection to my android tablet.