What's new

RT-N66U Time to update router? Advice/Feedback

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Should I upgrade my RT-N66U?

• Yes

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • No

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Definitely, it's old

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
There was a small change in my plans. Luckily I was gifted a bestbuy gift card on Wednesday afternoon for $80 so I decided to jump and get the RT-AC86U instead. I set it up yesterday morning, took only a couple minutes to setup, and it has been working like a charm!

Thanks again!

I got my RT-AC86U and it's been solid for days now. My internet performance has increased as well. WIFI signal is much better than my older model. Glad you are enjoying it!

Just curious with WalMart selling the 2pk Orbi ac3000 system for $199 if that might have been an option? Or were there reasons not to consider it?

Just curious with WalMart selling the 2pk Orbi ac3000 system for $199 if that might have been an option? Or were there reasons not to consider it?

I wanted something that gave me more flexibility. Since Netgear router firmware is mostly closed source and restrictive you have to use what they give you. Yes they push out updates but you have to wait on them to do so. With ASUS I can put ASUSWrt-Merlin and open up a lot more flexible options for me to tinker with (custom scripts, frequent updates, etc...) I've never had an issue with my ASUS products in the past. Although I had considered getting the Netgear I made the choice to go with the ASUS RT-AC86U for these reasons. I've been very happy with the results thus far and love my new router. I'm sure the Netgear would have been great too but its restrictive firmware bothered me a bit.