What's new

RT-N66U Time to update router? Advice/Feedback

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Should I upgrade my RT-N66U?

• Yes

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • No

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Definitely, it's old

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

Xruptor

Regular Contributor
Well I think it's time I upgrade my RT-N66U router. It has served me well all this time. According to this article, I should upgrade my router since its a N router. That being said, I've noticed that a lot of routers are migrating into the ARM/AC world. The days of the MIPS routers seem to be over. I acknowledge the fact that my router is aging and I have concerns with things like stability and security. Things like the KRACK exploit and the recent DNSMASQ vulnerability. I've done some research and I've gotten numbers and abbreviations thrown at me like AC1900, AC2350m, AC3200, MU-MIMO, 160Mhz, etc.. etc.. It's a little daunting when trying to figure out what is truly appropriate for what I need. This is especially true when you have to sort out all the marketing ploys and 'BIG NUMBER' syndrome that products have.

I have a small network in my house. I have some 4 or 5 computers connected along with various other equipment like Android devices, XBOX, PS4, Plex Server, etc.. I'm a heavy gamer and QOS is important to me because of the light to moderate torrenting that sometimes is done in the household. I do have concerns about update to date security.

My internet varies from 89Mbps to 120Mbps download to 4Mbps to 7Mbps Upload, depending on what speedtest I use. The Comcast one loves to show me big numbers. I don't exactly have a money restriction but I would like to be as economical as possible and save money in the process.

I've been an ASUS fan for quite some time but I'm open to other routers from other companies. Firmware is also important to me. In the past I've used DD-WRT and Tomato. I've been a Tomato user for years and I absolutely loved the stability it gave me. Though recently I've had to switch to AsusWRT-Merlin for security reasons.

Routers I've been looking at:
  • Asus AC68U
  • Asus AC86U
  • Asus RT-AC1900P
  • NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 R7000
  • NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S Smart WiFi
  • Synology RT2600ac
  • Synology RT1900ac

I know a few of those are old, but apparently they are still quite valid and powerful even after a few years. This includes the ASUS RT-AC68U and the Netgear R7000. I'm open to other models if anyone has any other opinions on that.

Would like a router that is semi up to date and will be stable and won't be replaced anytime soon. That has up to date firmware and security patches for KRACK and DNSMASQ bugs.

Third Party Firmwares:
  • DD-WRT
  • Tomato
  • OpenWRT
  • Gargoyle
  • Vortex
  • ASUSWRT-Merlin
  • LEDE
  • pfSense
So many firmwares and a few are out of date or don't have as big of a community as they used to. Security is an issue here.

As an old Tomato user, I don't want to say that Tomato is dead, but it's on it's lifeline. It's still using an old kernel and has several exploits that need to be fixed. Shibby came back briefly to do an update but had been on a long hiatus and Toastman apparently won't be updating his firmware anymore. If it wasn't for Kille72, Tomato would be pretty much dead. So I need to look elsewhere for Firmwares. I'm open to try others as on the new router so long as it's updated and has a good community. I know Tomato-ARM is available but I don't mind trying others.

My current router is running AsusWRT-Merlin and it's fantastic. It's rock solid and has many of the features I would like. Had recently migrated from Tomato because of security reasons. Merlin has done a great job on it. I'd still like to upgrade my router though. I think it's time for an update.

I appreciate any feedback, advice and hands on experience with any of the routers I've mentioned above. I'm looking to upgrade my RT-N66U but I don't want to make a mistake and grab something that either has issues or is out of date.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I think it's time I upgrade my RT-N66U router.
Since you don't mention any problems my first thought is, "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

But it sounds like you like to tinker so of course you want to upgrade. (If you stick with Asus and configure the old one similar to the new you'll even have a reasonable "hot spare".)

As you've probably already learned "AC" is the wireless standard it adheres to while being backward compatible with B, G and N. The number after "AC" is a marketing attempt to quantify "speed". "1900" is roughly equal to 1300 Mbps on the 5 GHz radio plus 600 Mbps on the 2.4 GHz radio.

Since your N66U is working fine there's probably no need to be looking at Corvettes. The 68U is pretty much the same thing as the 1900 and the Asus RT-AC1900P is currently on sale at Best Buy for $99 (and a friend told me they gave him an additional 15% off for turning in an ancient WRT54G). You might find an even better deal on an Asus RT-AC1750 B1.

Let us know what you wind up with, how it works out and Happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited:
The Asus RT-AC1750 B1 that Klueless mentioned is on sale at BestBuy for $79.99. Take in an old router or modem and you’ll get another 15% off.

Good luck with your search and Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm in the same boat as you. I've had the RT-N66U for 4-5 yrs now and I'm looking to upgrade. I've spent probably too much time reading the articles on this site, which have been very informative, overloading myself with info. From what I can gather for myself is I really only need to go to an AC1900 router, but with the black Friday sales I'm not really spending too much more going to something "better" even if I won't see any major gains from it.

Prices in CAD
Asus RT-AC1900P $149
Asus RT-AC66U_B1 $99

Asus RT-AC3100 $199
TP-Link AC3200 $169
Linksys EA8300-CA $149
Netgear R7000 $169

Those are what I've narrowed it down to at this point. For a basic 1900AC or 1750AC router there really isn't much to choose from that will be significantly lower than what I've listed. The Asus RT-AC1750 mention in the above post is $149 here. The TP-Link seems like a pretty good deal at $169 or going with the RT-AC66U for $99.

Since you don't mention any problems my first thought is, "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

My issue is security and firmware updates. It seems that old MIPS routers aren't updated as much as the ARM ones. A lot of the firmware for MIPS with exception to one I think, have many out of dates libraries and such. Not to mention old kernels, KRACK and DNSMASQ vulnerabilities. The router itself is old and if ARM is the new standard that will get firmware updates both stock and third party, then I would like to migrate to that.

That being said, I do like to think as well LOL... ;) Though it seriously is outdated from everything I've read. (Boy has it been WAY too many articles and websites... overload of information.) I knew there was some marketing ploys in the AC numbering sequence. Thanks for explaining it. I have been leaning to the Asus RT-AC68U or the Netgear R7000 Nighthawk. My only concern is that these two are already growing old as well. Not sure if I should fall back to picking one of those up or moving to a newer one. I will admit though everything I've read about the RT-N68U and Netgear Nighthawk R7000 are amazing. Apparently these two are power houses that are STILL relevant to this day as quite stable and capable routers.

The Asus RT-AC1750 B1 that Klueless mentioned is on sale at BestBuy for $79.99. Take in an old router or modem and you’ll get another 15% off.

Good luck with your search and Happy Thanksgiving!

Cool thanks! I'll take a look. It looks like that one is the RT-N66U.

I'm in the same boat as you. I've had the RT-N66U for 4-5 yrs now and I'm looking to upgrade. I've spent probably too much time reading the articles on this site, which have been very informative, overloading myself with info. From what I can gather for myself is I really only need to go to an AC1900 router, but with the black Friday sales I'm not really spending too much more going to something "better" even if I won't see any major gains from it.

Prices in CAD
Asus RT-AC1900P $149
Asus RT-AC66U_B1 $99

Asus RT-AC3100 $199
TP-Link AC3200 $169
Linksys EA8300-CA $149
Netgear R7000 $169

Those are what I've narrowed it down to at this point. For a basic 1900AC or 1750AC router there really isn't much to choose from that will be significantly lower than what I've listed. The Asus RT-AC1750 mention in the above post is $149 here. The TP-Link seems like a pretty good deal at $169 or going with the RT-AC66U for $99.

Yeah i've been doing research on this for some time now. I'm leaning towards the AC1900 models. I want to mention also that the Asus RT-AC1900P is now out of stock and back to it's regular price on BestBuy.com.

I'd still love to hear anymore opinions and feedback others have to give here. Thanks everyone who has given feedback already.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!! To all!

Oops forgot to mention my current router is rocking the awesome AsusWRT-Merlin firmware. I updated my original post to reflect that. Apparently the ARM versions have Adaptive QOS and a few other useful upgrades. So its even more reason why I think an upgrade to an ARM router is in order. Would love to hear feedback from Merlin on a stable router that uses his firmware. I believe the RT-AC86U was recently updated to a new firmware.

I wonder if the RT-AC68U can do Adaptive QOS or if I should look at a higher model. There is always DD-WRT for QoS but I'm unsure how good of a performance I'd get. It's been years.

Prices in CAD
Asus RT-AC1900P $149
Asus RT-AC66U_B1 $99

Asus RT-AC3100 $199
TP-Link AC3200 $169
Linksys EA8300-CA $149
Netgear R7000 $169

An AC66u isn't that much of an upgrade- it might buy you another 2-3 years before your other tech in the house will force a further upgrade. If you're like me and don't want to upgrade these things all that often, the smart money is on the AC3100; over the next 3-5 years, the extra $50 will prove to be money well spent. you might not be someone who buys the newest, shiniest tech, but it's always coming and faster than ever before. You'll be happier with your next phone/tablet/laptop/smartTV because you won't need to address your router as well, that kind of thing.

Further, you could still use the ol' 66u as an AP in concert with the new router. I'm a big proponent of turning the radios down so that you only get wifi where you need it - be mindful of the neighbours, better security if they don't reach that far...and there's some research into microwave radiation and its effects on health and sleep that indicate we humans might be slowly cooking ourselves with it. In a more positive vein, when Asus (and Merlin) get it happening, you'll be able to have a small meshnet with more than 1 router/AP (building a community meshnet could help offset any reversal of net neutrality rules, but could also speed the making of widespread ubiquitous internet access a reality)...see how contradictory everything can be when you get into it? wifi kills, wifi is freedom, freedom kills...and I haven't started drinking yet ;)
Way way way TMI, I know.

Last edited:
An AC66u isn't that much of an upgrade- it might buy you another 2-3 years before your other tech in the house will force a further upgrade. If you're like me and don't want to upgrade these things all that often, the smart money is on the AC3100; over the next 3-5 years, the extra $50 will prove to be money well spent. you might not be someone who buys the newest, shiniest tech, but it's always coming and faster than ever before. You'll be happier with your next phone/tablet/laptop/smartTV because you won't need to address your router as well, that kind of thing.

Further, you could still use the ol' 66u as an AP in concert with the new router. I'm a big proponent of turning the radios down so that you only get wifi where you need it - be mindful of the neighbours, better security if they don't reach that far...and there's some research into microwave radiation and its effects on health and sleep that indicate we humans might be slowly cooking ourselves with it. In a more positive vein, when Asus (and Merlin) get it happening, you'll be able to have a small meshnet with more than 1 router/AP (building a community meshnet could help offset any reversal of net neutrality rules, but could also speed the making of widespread ubiquitous internet access a reality)...see how contradictory everything can be when you get into it? wifi kills, wifi is freedom, freedom kills...and I haven't started drinking yet ;)
Way way way TMI, I know.

I was actually thinking of putting the old RT-N66U in AP mode at the other side of the house. So you recommend that we completely ignore the AC1900 line and just move to AC3100? I remember reading that apparently the AC1900 line is quite stable and in fact ASUS has updated their models for it quite a few times already. How much more of a difference will I get going from AC1900 to AC3100 (obviously other than the leap in numbers lol).

I also know apparently there is a huge deal between Broadcom vs MediaTek vs Quantenna vs Qualcomm. Some are better than others apparently.

the smart money is on the AC3100; over the next 3-5 years, the extra $50 will prove to be money well spent
I can agree with that but I'm "married with children". Given local Christmas sales the 1750 B1 was $170 cheaper and the 1900P (which I bought) was $150 cheaper (which "home management" found acceptable!) than the 3100 was.

For me it was a win/win; I'm happy and, more importantly, my wife is happy too. After all i can't cuddle and drink wine with my router ...

Last edited:
I was actually thinking of putting the old RT-N66U in AP mode at the other side of the house. So you recommend that we completely ignore the AC1900 line and just move to AC3100? I remember reading that apparently the AC1900 line is quite stable and in fact ASUS has updated their models for it quite a few times already. How much more of a difference will I get going from AC1900 to AC3100 (obviously other than the leap in numbers lol).

I also know apparently there is a huge deal between Broadcom vs MediaTek vs Quantenna vs Qualcomm. Some are better than others apparently.

Yeah, I do: moar power. well, maybe not, but if you have Cable internet and your provider supports (or plans to) QAM VDSL, the 3100 could make use of it. The Asus specs page suggests that on 5G, it can handle 2GBps. I assume that translates into a gig up and a gig down. Plus there's 4x4 (vs 3x3 in the 1900) MIMO and more RAM (512MB vs 256). In a modern/future-forward home/family, this is what I'd get...or for a small business that might host it's own webserver...lots of applications.

but I'm no expert. Ultimately you have a better idea as to your current and future needs/wants. that's the trick, balancing requirements and budget.

Survey above says it's time too, if that matters. I feel your pain, btw, being in the same boat with an n66

Last edited:
I can agree with that but I'm "married with children". Given local Christmas sales the 1750 B1 was $170 cheaper and the 1900P (which I bought) was $150 cheaper (which "home management" found acceptable!) than the 3100 was. For me it was a win/win; I'm happy and, more importantly, my wife is happy too. After all i can't cuddle and drink wine with my router ...

Your router is always turned on and warm; after enough wine it might not matter which gets cuddled ;-p

Yeah, I do: moar power. well, maybe not, but if you have Cable internet and your provider supports (or plans to) QAM VDSL, the 3100 could make use of it. The Asus specs page suggests that on 5G, it can handle 2GBps. I assume that translates into a gig up and a gig down. Plus there's 4x4 (vs 3x3 in the 1900) MIMO and more RAM (512MB vs 256). In a modern/future-forward home/family, this is what I'd get...or for a small business that might host it's own webserver...lots of applications.

but I'm no expert. Ultimately you have a better idea as to your current and future needs/wants. that's the trick, balancing requirements and budget.

Survey above says it's time too, if that matters. I feel your pain, btw, being in the same boat with an n66

What to do what to do LOL....

So my choices are RT-AC68U (since it's a AC1900P apparently). Amazon has a sale on this today. Prime members get it for $99 dollars which is apparently ($60 dollars off the actual price).

The ASUS RT-AC88U Wireless-AC3100 is also on sale with Prime on Amazon. It's going for $189 dollars which is apparently $110 dollars off the actual price.

Both of these apparently have a 9 hour deadline.

OR I can look elsewhere and get another router. :) Upgrading this thing is beginning to be a pain in the butt.

What to do what to do LOL....

So my choices are RT-AC68U (since it's a AC1900P apparently). Amazon has a sale on this today. Prime members get it for $99 dollars which is apparently ($60 dollars off the actual price).

The ASUS RT-AC88U Wireless-AC3100 is also on sale with Prime on Amazon. It's going for $189 dollars which is apparently $110 dollars off the actual price.

Both of these apparently have a 9 hour deadline.

OR I can look elsewhere and get another router. :) Upgrading this thing is beginning to be a pain in the butt.
Fry’s has the RT-AC68U for $99, plus they give you a $20 rebate. The rebate is a prepaid debit card. Use this code 8528773, when you checkout.

https://www.frys.com/product/7879149

Fry’s has the RT-AC68U for $99, plus they give you a $20 rebate. The rebate is a prepaid debit card. Use this code 8528773, when you checkout.

https://www.frys.com/product/7879149

That is a great deal but I think I'm going to go with the RT-AC1900P if I do end up picking a RT-AC68U model. Otherwise my other options I'm looking at right now is RT-AC86U and RT-AC88U. I suppose I could go with Netgear but I'm a bit hesitant, that would probably be the R7000P and the R7800 models. >.> Like I mentioned in the other post. ASUS has been good to me all these years.

The difference between the Netgear R7800 and the Asus RT-AC86U isn't that incredibly different.

That is a great deal but I think I'm going to go with the RT-AC1900P if I do end up picking a RT-AC68U model. Otherwise my other options I'm looking at right now is RT-AC86U and RT-AC88U. I suppose I could go with Netgear but I'm a bit hesitant, that would probably be the R7000P and the R7800 models. >.> Like I mentioned in the other post. ASUS has been good to me all these years.

The difference between the Netgear R7800 and the Asus RT-AC86U isn't that incredibly different.
Cool. If any good deals pop up here, I’ll be sure to post it up.

It seems that old MIPS routers aren't updated as much as the ARM ones
Thanks, I never gave that a thought before. Makes sense, right or wrong, if that's where the industry is going then that's where the effort, innovation and updates will be. I tried "googling" but didn't come up with a quick and easy list of which Asus routers are and which aren't. Any insites?

I think the 66u’s, both N and AC, are the end of the line for MIPS from Asus.

Hi I'm in the same boat as OP.

ive kind of narrowed it down the Asus ac86u or the Netgear R7800 X4S , the latter is much cheaper here in the UK presently which is swaying me to that.

Just still unsure as the Asus has always had great firmware support on here, but Im quite happy to go stock firmware on either for my simple requirements.

Can anyone advise on which I should get, like the OP, I currently have an N66U.

Thank's