What's new

RT-N66U USB Share

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jdebord

Occasional Visitor
Hi - I'm setting up a WD My Passport USB drive as a network share via the rt-n66u and am having a few problems.

(1) How do I maintain permissions to the files? I want to map it as a drive to my personal computer, but I don't want all the files visible or able to be modified by anyone that uses my network (ie: guests).

(2) Do I need to wipe the drive and start fresh? It appears the files that are already there can't be modified as they were created by another users (my laptop plugged directly into the USB drive)

(3) Is there any way to keep the drive from showing up in the 'Network Neighborhood' for everyone on the network to see? I would prefer just mapping it on my personal laptop so other guests can't even see it

Thanks in advance for your help!
Jason

Hi - I'm setting up a WD My Passport USB drive as a network share via the rt-n66u and am having a few problems.

(1) How do I maintain permissions to the files? I want to map it as a drive to my personal computer, but I don't want all the files visible or able to be modified by anyone that uses my network (ie: guests).

(2) Do I need to wipe the drive and start fresh? It appears the files that are already there can't be modified as they were created by another users (my laptop plugged directly into the USB drive)

(3) Is there any way to keep the drive from showing up in the 'Network Neighborhood' for everyone on the network to see? I would prefer just mapping it on my personal laptop so other guests can't even see it

Thanks in advance for your help!
Jason

I was able to get most of this squared away - but the transfer rates are horrible. I copied a file down to my laptop and it peaked at 2.5 mb/sec transfer rate...granted it is usb 2.0, but still I thought it would be much higher than 2.5 mb/sec. Does this sound right?

transfer rate betwen my 66u and laptop is 10-13MB/s.
You have problem with wifi speed in your laptop.

transfer rate betwen my 66u and laptop is 10-13MB/s.
You have problem with wifi speed in your laptop.

If that was the case my network connection to the Internet would also be slow. I've got a 100 mb connection through my Isp and have no issues with using it to download over wifi.