What's new

RT-N66u WAN throughput question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Matt Storr

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I've been using an RT-N66u with AsusWRT-Merlin build 380.57 for quite a while with no issues. I've recently been upgraded to 200/20 Virgin Internet and using their Hub 3.0 I'm able to achieve 222Mb download when my PC is connected to its hub, as well as when I switch the Hub 3.0 into modem only mode and directly connect my PC.

5889244604.png

However, when I then connect my Asus RT-N66u to the Hub 3.0 in modem mode, I only get 179Mb download

5889253205.png

I'm not using any QoS or other packet inspection and as far as I can see the Asus is using recommended defaults for most items. Is there any reason why the Asus is unable to keep up with the WAN speed or do I need to purchase a new more powerful model (RT-AC68U ?)

Make sure NAT acceleration is enabled. Check its state on the Tools -> Sysinfo page.

Thank you for such a quick response. HW NAT Acceleration was indeed disabled due to the fact I had switched on the "Enable IPTraffic (per IP monitoring)" ability. After disabling that and switching on NAT acceleration, speed jumped considerably :-

5892994600.png

I'll run some more tests at different times of the day to see if I can reach the Hub 3.0 222Mb/s speed. As a side note, would the increased CPU power of an RT-AC68u been able to handle this better? For instance, would the dual-core power of the AC68u have allowed me to use IPTraffic and still attain full WAN port speed? I'm thinking the N66u may be a little under-powered for this WAN port speed + packet inspection.

HW NAT Acceleration was indeed disabled due to the fact I had switched on the "Enable IPTraffic (per IP monitoring)" ability.
Same happened to me, i got worried why router's CPU usage is 100% when downloading at full speed of my 100Mbit GPON link, and then saw on Tools->Sysinfo that
"hw acceleration disabled due to iptraffic". After that it was only a matter of removing that checkbox. Not that i need to monitor every IP inside my network
Now CPU usage stays below 30%

Last edited:
As a side note, would the increased CPU power of an RT-AC68u been able to handle this better?

Yes, the RT-AC68U can handle nearly twice the amount of traffic of the RT-N66U when not using NAT acceleration.

On my B1 revision 68U (1000 Mhz processor) I was able to get 380 Mbps down and 440 up with NAT acceleration off. With CTF enabled I could get around 940 Mbps both ways.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!