What's new

RT-N66U Website Logging

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sugargenius

New Around Here
I think this has been asked before, but I was unable to find a definitive answer. I would like to have the ability to log the websites that my children visit. Is it possible to log this using Merlin's firmware and save the logs to a usb drive?

Unfortunately a required module, libipt_webmon.so, is missing from the N66U firmware (374.43) so this won't work.

But perhaps the module has been included in more recent versions of the firmware.

So the bottom line is no, it can't be done. Or, if it is, it's most likely prohibitively difficult. That's too bad. When I bought the $150 RT-N66U, I just assumed that it was at least as capable in every regard to the $30 Linksys E2000 that it replaced.

So the bottom line is no, it can't be done. Or, if it is, it's most likely prohibitively difficult. That's too bad. When I bought the $150 RT-N66U, I just assumed that it was at least as capable in every regard to the $30 Linksys E2000 that it replaced.
If it is that importantant to you maybe you should have RTFM before buying. :)

An almost identical question was asked yesterday (http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=20644). RMerlin suggested installing the Tomato firmware as a solution.

If it is that importantant to you maybe you should have RTFM before buying. :)

An almost identical question was asked yesterday (http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=20644). RMerlin suggested installing the Tomato firmware as a solution.

I'm not aware of the exact history of all the firmware variants that are available, but I'm assuming they are all descended from a single, original branch. So, was this feature added by Tomato and not adopted by the others, or was it in the original and removed :confused: ?

I'm not aware of the exact history of all the firmware variants that are available, but I'm assuming they are all descended from a single, original branch. So, was this feature added by Tomato and not adopted by the others, or was it in the original and removed :confused: ?
I'm not an expert on the history but I think you'd have to go back a very long way to find a common code base.

The ASUS firmware is completely different from Tomato and Merlins firmware is just an "improved" version of ASUS's. Tomato is more like DD-WRT in that it's aimed at "expert" users whereas ASUS is geared more towards the less technical user.

So to answer your question directly, the feature you want was never in the stock ASUS firmware, although as Merlin pointed out in the other thread they have added it to their latest routers. It could be a long time, if ever, before it trickles down to the N66U.

So to answer your question directly, the feature you want was never in the stock ASUS firmware, although as Merlin pointed out in the other thread they have added it to their latest routers. It could be a long time, if ever, before it trickles down to the N66U.

The TrendMicro code won't be ported to the RT-N66U as it lacks the required CPU power and flash space. The only models currently planned to receive the TrendMicro engine are the AC56 and the AC68.