What's new

RT-N66U won't connect to WAN after updating firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ahmadka

Regular Contributor
Hi guys ... I've had an RT-N66U on Merlin firmware for several years now and it worked fine. I think it was on 378.55. Yesterday I updated it firmware wirelessly to 380.70 (latest for RT-N66U), and since then I cannot get it to connect to my WAN. I have tried manually turning the power off on the N66U and turning it back on, factory resetting its settings, turning the firewall on the N66U off, etc .. Nothing working ... Oddly enough though, on the 'Network Map' page of the N66U, it DOES say:

Internet status:
Connected
WAN IP: 10.0.0.4

But, it's actually NOT connected. If I connect to the N66U's SSID and then try to ping 10.0.0.4, I get timeouts. I have also tried pinging 10.0.0.4 directly from the N66U itself (using it's Network Tools page), and again get timeouts.

Seeing this, I tried reverting to a few other recent Merlin firmwares for N66U's, but I see this problem in all of them. In the end, I tried reverting back to the original Merlin firmware I had for several years, 378.55, and it won't let me do that because of this issue:

Invalid Firmware Upload

To comply with regulatory amendments, we have modified our certification rule to ensure better firmware quality. This version is not compatible with all previously released ASUS firmware and uncertified third party firmware. Please check our official websites for the certified firmware.

So now I don't know what to do. Can someone help ?

Dude in order to update firmware your router needs to be factory reset and be on the 192.168.1.1 IP address were in the world you got that IP address

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Tapatalk

Did you power off your modem for a few minutes as well? Unplug your router. Unplug your modem. Wait 5 minutes or longer. Plug in modem. Wait for it to stabilize. Plugin router. Let it boot. See if any difference.

Dude in order to update firmware your router needs to be factory reset and be on the 192.168.1.1 IP address were in the world you got that IP address

That is the WAN IP the N66U is being given by the WAN modem. The LAN IP of the N66U is 192.168.1.1 as you stated.

Have you try mini CFE or Asus firmware restoration tools

Did you power off your modem for a few minutes as well? Unplug your router. Unplug your modem. Wait 5 minutes or longer. Plug in modem. Wait for it to stabilize. Plugin router. Let it boot. See if any difference.

Just tried this. Switched off both modem and N66U router. Waited over 20 minutes. Switched on modem and waited 2 minutes to let internet stabilize on it, then switched on N66U router. Still the same result as before.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!