What's new

RTAC86U issue with Pihole and Adguard Home

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Old-Timer1

Occasional Visitor
Hey guys,

I am having an issue and some someone can help.

Over the last year I have been running pihole on my Raspberry pi (LAN) and when I use my raspberry Pi's IP in my router settings below, it works flawlessly

LAN -> DHCP Server -> DNS and WINS Server Setting -> DS Server 1, everything works great and pihole handles the DHCP and assigns all of my devices an IP.

I have also been using the DNS Filter feature to force all traffic through pi hole. My settings here were:

Global Filter Mode -> Router - Raspberry Pi's IP -> No Filtering. This setup work flawlessly.

Now Enter Adguard Home... I set this up on a VPS to test. Only my home IP is configured to be alllowed to access Adguard home.

To begin using Adguard home (instead of pihole), I enabled DHCP on adguard and went into my routers setting to

LAN -> DHCP Server -> DNS and WINS Server Setting -> DS Server 1, and I replaced pihole's IP address with the IP address of the Adguard VPS

I also went into DNS filter on my router under:

Global filter mode -> Custom 1 -> and under custom (user defined) DNS 1 - I entered my Adguard home IP address here. (I am not sure if this is correct)?

The reason why I am using the DNS filter feature on both adguard and pihole is to force hardcoded DNS devices to use my DNS of choice (Pihole or Adguad in this case)

I have my WAN IP set to 9.9.9.9 as I did with pihole

DHCP is disabled on the router itself to allow Pihole or Adguard to issue the IP's to the devices.

So here is my issue:

When I replaced pihole's IP with the IP from Adguard home and rebooted the router, I was expecting Adguard to take over the DHCP and Adblocking, but pihole and adguard both seem to be working now, even though pihole's IP has been removed from LAN -> DHCP Server -> DNS and WINS Server Setting -> DS Server 1.

Also when I turn off the Raspberry pi now, the network goes down.

While both are blocking now, the majorty of it is being done by pihole and so is the DHCP, which isn't what I want as I am testing Adguard.

So I am wondering what router settings I need to change to switch over to Adguard to test it?

Any ideas where I am going wrong guys, I just don't get how pihole is still handing the adblocking and DHCP as I removed it's IP from the router.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks guys

DHCP is disabled on the router itself to allow Pihole or Adguard to issue the IP's to the devices.
Adguard can’t be a DHCP server from outside your network. Re-enable the router’s DHCP server if you want to remove Pi-Hole. You can’t have more than one DHCP server on your LAN, however.

I just don't get how pihole is still handing the adblocking and DHCP as I removed it's IP from the router.
The Pi-Hole is still configured as the only DHCP server on your network, so it announces itself as the DNS server.

Adguard can’t be a DHCP server from outside your network. Re-enable the router’s DHCP server if you want to remove Pi-Hole. You can’t have more than one DHCP server on your LAN, however.

The Pi-Hole is still configured as the only DHCP server on your network, so it announces itself as the DNS server.
Thanks dave, I made the changes you suggested and now adguard is handing the adblocking and the router handles the dhcp and all is working well.

Im pretty new to all of this but learning every day.

On Pihole I could see each individual device, on AGH I can't, is there a way to fix this?

Also I have to figure out how to ssl to enable DoT encryption in AGH.

On Pihole I could see each individual device, on AGH I can't, is there a way to fix this?
Probably not, since all DNS requests would be received at your AdGuardHome VPS from your WAN IPv4 address. Someone more familiar with AGH can check if it understands dnsmasq’s add-mac or add-subnet options.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!