What's new

RTN66U Losing internet - always solved by pulling cable??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thank you for that - I don't for now, I have double play. But I did have triple at some point in the past hence the current TC modem I guess. I canceled the SB6190 and went for the SB6183, as I read a whole bunch of problems with the Puma 6 latency issue, and nothing definitive about a fix being rolled out in Comcast. I don't have top tiered speed anyway - about 75Mbit, which is plenty for my needs (when it works - I have a number of dropouts of the COMCAST WAN as well right now - not always this bad, just recently).

An Update. I switched over to the new SB6183. There were a few days of random disconnects. I switched cables (the old one and new both said CAT5e). I switched to a new RTN66U router (they changed the power supply, which was strange). None of this made any consistent difference. I set up a script on the N66U to monitor the WAN link and then restart if it was down more than one minute. This made a bit of difference but I think that was a red herring. The reason I think that is, I also set up an external ping monitor (using panopta.com) every minute, and it noticed COMCAST flipped my connection more frequently than I thought. But.. it restored it within two minutes, which was barely noticed by the previous monitor of "5 minutes downtime and then I yell"

I called COMCAST to complain, had them reset the line (reset the settings for my modem) and since then... I've only had a few (but not zero) outages. They last a minute or two, but its not the modem or router - I can see that, as the ping fails from internet to me, though the gateway at COMCAST is still accessible from the internet so its not their gateway, its the modem link for me - whatever box I am linked to. And the new SB modem detects it if it lasts more than a couple of minutes, and restarts the WAN negotiation.

Since Dec 7th, no WAN disconnects...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!