What's new

RTRMON RTRMON v1.6.8 -Mar 17, 2024- Monitor your Router's Health (New: AMTM, Network Conn/Bandwidth/Diag + Port Scanner, GT-AXE/AX + Speedtest)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thank you.
I can confirm that after running the code above it installed the dig. Also the RTRMON passes the dig test now.

Edit: I installed your script to a remote site where I am using an AC66U_B1 with the latest firmware and the very same test from above worked right away.
Did a dig test in putty and worked as well .. so it was installed.
I think you are right, dig it is part of the default install, but for some reason it was removed from our routers ... maybe another script did this when we uninstalled ...
That's great info to know, @Amwjujo! Thanks for reporting this. At least there usually always is a workaround for anything dealing with this kinda stuff ;)

Last edited:
Man, that is so cool!! I'm strapping that on my little network, soon as I have a little time to follow up on everything.
Thanks for all the scripts, You definitely have a gift! A lot of it probably came from a lot of hard work!

Man, that is so cool!! I'm strapping that on my little network, soon as I have a little time to follow up on everything.
Thanks for all the scripts, You definitely have a gift! A lot of it probably came from a lot of hard work!
Absolutely, @JT Strickland! :) Just released another one today... KILLMON... my take on a IP4/IP6 VPN kill switch script... LOL I need to stop, or I'll be juggling too many scripts!

Great Job! I just discovered this amazing tool.
I'm on 1.41 on my RT-AX88U...
Not sure if is an issue or misconfig on my side.
But WIFI page doesn't show data in RX and TX
Only totals at the end of the line.
1668402291105.png

Is this normal?

Thanks

Great Job! I just discovered this amazing tool.
I'm on 1.41 on my RT-AX88U...
Not sure if is an issue or misconfig on my side.
But WIFI page doesn't show data in RX and TX
Only totals at the end of the line.

Is this normal?

Thanks
Thanks! Sometimes it's simply because there are no clients connected or making any traffic on that 2.4GHz band. You can test this out by making a connection to your 2.4 network and doing a speed test, or big download, and then watching the stats in RTRMON?

Oh and the reason why you're not seeing a bar on the 5GHz side is simply because it's being underutilized. It's showing a download of 41mb at 1%. Make sure you have configured your top speeds correctly for your Wi-Fi interfaces under the config section? The more utilization you see, the more prominent these bars will get.

Last edited:
Thanks! Sometimes it's simply because there are no clients connected or making any traffic on that 2.4GHz band. You can test this out by making a connection to your 2.4 network and doing a speed test, or big download, and then watching the stats in RTRMON?

Oh and the reason why you're not seeing a bar on the 5GHz side is simply because it's being underutilized. It's showing a download of 41mb at 1%. Make sure you have configured your top speeds correctly for your Wi-Fi interfaces under the config section? The more utilization you see, the more prominent these bars will get.
My bad... There was traffic... but I forgot to set the values for the wifi speed. I only did for the wan.
Now I see the bars! Thanks for the help. And kudos again for the tool.

Quick question... I there a plan to access RTRMON via the addons section directly on the Asus merlin GUI?

My bad... There was traffic... but I forgot to set the values for the wifi speed. I only did for the wan.
Now I see the bars! Thanks for the help. And kudos again for the tool.
Glad you figured it out, and glad you're getting some good use out of it!

Quick question... I there a plan to access RTRMON via the addons section directly on the Asus merlin GUI?
At some point, when I find time to figure out how to tie scripts/services to embedded web pages in the GUI, then yes... but for now, you're going to have to enjoy slick terminal-based SSH dashboards. :)

Hmm... I had always thought dig was part of the "default" install that came along with Merlin's FW, enabling JFFS/Scripts and installing a default flavor of Entware. Needless to say, you can always install it separately by running these 2 commands... the first just updates your repositories with the latest available versions of tools available out there, and the second one just installs the latest version of dig:

Code:
opkg update

opkg install bind-dig
So I wound up reinstalling amtm from scratch and everything passed this time. I ran the two commands above and they stated that dig was already installed.

The net-net is everything is working fine now, but not sure what caused the error earlier. If it pops back up, I'll update here. Thanks for your help.

So I wound up reinstalling amtm from scratch and everything passed this time. I ran the two commands above and they stated that dig was already installed.

The net-net is everything is working fine now, but not sure what caused the error earlier. If it pops back up, I'll update here. Thanks for your help.
Good to know... yeah, i was pretty sure dig came with the standard setup. It must have disappeared at some point there... ;) Glad all is working well!

Happy Thanksgiving! Here's a new version of RTRMON with some new added stats on a fresh new page #6! Enjoy! :)

What's New?:
v1.45 - (November 25, 2022)
- MAJOR:
Added a 6th page of statistics! This time borrowing a little magic from the iftop command, and presenting you with the top 10 network connections/bandwidth info currently taking place on your WAN, LAN and VPN connections! This info gives you a quick snapshot in time showing you current activity to satisfy any curiocity you may have on what servers or services your network clients are currently interacting with, or could be helpful determining bandwidth hogs, or tracking down curious outbound connections that require a bit more scrutiny and research. Happy Thanksgiving!

Download Link (Or download through AMTM):
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/RTRMON/master/rtrmon-1.45.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh"

Significant Screenshots!
rtrmon-1.45-pg6.jpg

Last edited:
Happy Thanksgiving! Here's a new version of RTRMON with some new added stats on a fresh new page #6! Enjoy! :)

What's New?:
v1.45 - (November 25, 2022)
- MAJOR:
Added a 6th page of statistics! This time borrowing a little magic from the iftop command, and presenting you with the top 10 network connections/bandwidth info currently taking place on your WAN, LAN and VPN connections! This info gives you a quick snapshot in time showing you current activity to satisfy any curiocity you may have on what servers or services your network clients are currently interacting with, or could be helpful determining bandwidth hogs, or tracking down curious outbound connections that require a bit more scrutiny and research. Happy Thanksgiving!

Download Link (Or download through AMTM):
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/RTRMON/master/rtrmon-1.45.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh"

Significant Screenshots!
View attachment 45754
I installed the update this evening, but all I see is "No Data" on page 6.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-26 at 18.29.24.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-26 at 18.29.24.png
    282.1 KB · Views: 40
I installed the update this evening, but all I see is "No Data" on page 6.
Try hitting the "C" key to refresh your "C"urrent stats! Oh wait... Looks like you might have already tried that. Lol

Drop to a command prompt... Can you run the command "iftop"?

Try hitting the "C" key to refresh your "C"urrent stats! Oh wait... Looks like you might have already tried that. Lol

Drop to a command prompt... Can you run the command "iftop"?
Code:
# iftop
-sh: iftop: not found

Code:
# iftop
-sh: iftop: not found
That's what I feared. Ok, I'll send another release here shortly that will check for it and install it. In the interim, try running this:

Code:
opkg update
opkg install iftop

That's what I feared. Ok, I'll send another release here shortly that will check for it and install it. In the interim, try running this:

Code:
opkg update
opkg install iftop
Already did that, and it fixed it!

Thanks much to @visortgw for confirming that iftop is *not* part of the standard install, and requires a separate opkg install. RTRMON has now been updated to check for this, and will prompt for the tool to be installed.

What's new?
v1.46 - (November 26, 2022)
- HOTFIX:
Added the requirement to check for the iftop binary, and if it's not installed, will prompt you through the setup menu to install/re-install entware dependencies. iftop is used to gather connections and bandwidth stats and give you the top 10 connections for WAN, LAN and VPN interfaces.

Download link (or download directly through the UI or AMTM):
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/RTRMON/master/rtrmon-1.46.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh"

Not sure if this has been covered (Tried to search through this thread), but 2 things happen when i start this app.
1. The choices that I select never appear on screen. that is, if I select "m1" to start the monitor, the "m1" is never painted on the screen If I exit back to AMTM, then those choices are never echoed on the screen until I restart the SSH session
2. when I press "N" (next screen) It takes me back to the RTMon Setup screen. If I press "P" previous screen it will go to page 6/6, but if I press "P" again, it takes me back to the setup screen.
Router is RT-AX88U, SSH Client is latest Putty

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!