What's new

RTRMON RTRMON v1.6.8 -Mar 17, 2024- Monitor your Router's Health (New: AMTM, Network Conn/Bandwidth/Diag + Port Scanner, GT-AXE/AX + Speedtest)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

My download latency/jitter still appear to be bizarrely high. I will need to look into it more later tonight or in the morning (intermission of Mannheim Steamroller Christmas show).

My download latency/jitter still appear to be bizarrely high. I will need to look into it more later tonight or in the morning (intermission of Mannheim Steamroller Christmas show).
Mine seem to be on par with each other now... ran one right after the other:

1670466004239.png

1670466025714.png

Mine seem to be on par with each other now... ran one right after the other:

View attachment 46123

View attachment 46124
So I also ran one after the other — results are completely different:
Code:
/jffs/addons/rtrmon.d# ./speedtest

Speedtest by Ookla

Server: Northland Communications - Syracuse, NY (id: 7093)
         ISP: Spectrum
Idle Latency:    18.65 ms   (jitter: 2.01ms, low: 17.52ms, high: 21.00ms)
    Download:   926.15 Mbps (data used: 1.2 GB)                                                   
                 25.34 ms   (jitter: 6.36ms, low: 16.48ms, high: 304.94ms)
      Upload:    37.83 Mbps (data used: 21.9 MB)                                                   
                 13.93 ms   (jitter: 13.82ms, low: 9.82ms, high: 256.76ms)
 Packet Loss:     0.0%

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-07 at 22.14.49.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-07 at 22.14.49.png
    431.2 KB · Views: 47
Can you check if there is a difference in pulling download latency/jitter values based on using either:
  1. default server; or
  2. custom server?
If I use default server, values seem to match. If I specify custom server (I use server ID 16978), I see huge download latency/jitter.

So... With more testing, I believe that it is an issue with the Spectrum Syracuse NY server (server ID 16978). I added the "--serverid=16978" parameter to the command line speedtest, and latency/jitter are high, just as in RTRMON:
Code:
jffs/addons/rtrmon.d# ./speedtest --serverid=16978

Speedtest by Ookla

Server: Spectrum - Syracuse, NY (id: 16978)
Idle Latency:    24.11 ms   (jitter: 0.76ms, low: 23.03ms, high: 25.51ms)
    Download:  1071.85 Mbps (data used: 1.2 GB)                                                 
                174.76 ms   (jitter: 49.10ms, low: 23.89ms, high: 408.04ms)
      Upload:    40.80 Mbps (data used: 29.6 MB)                                                 
                 20.36 ms   (jitter: 1.74ms, low: 19.34ms, high: 91.89ms)
Not sure what is going on, but it doesn't appear to be an RTRMON issue.

So... With more testing, I believe that it is an issue with the Spectrum Syracuse NY server (server ID 16978). I added the "--serverid=16978" parameter to the command line speedtest, and latency/jitter are high, just as in RTRMON:
Code:
jffs/addons/rtrmon.d# ./speedtest --serverid=16978

Speedtest by Ookla

Server: Spectrum - Syracuse, NY (id: 16978)
Idle Latency:    24.11 ms   (jitter: 0.76ms, low: 23.03ms, high: 25.51ms)
    Download:  1071.85 Mbps (data used: 1.2 GB)                                                
                174.76 ms   (jitter: 49.10ms, low: 23.89ms, high: 408.04ms)
      Upload:    40.80 Mbps (data used: 29.6 MB)                                                
                 20.36 ms   (jitter: 1.74ms, low: 19.34ms, high: 91.89ms)
Not sure what is going on, but it doesn't appear to be an RTRMON issue.
Hey @visortgw... I was about to make note that you were using 2 different testing sources, but it looks like you stumbled across that yourself. :) The other thing I would say is to take the results of these tests as more of a general indicator on what's going on in your environment, and may not be true to scale... as results vary from one second to the next depending on router or internet traffic. For instance, I supposedly have a 1Gb connection, but my AC86U can only push maybe up to 500Mb max on these tests due to processor issues... you might have some better equipment to show more real-world stats.

Hey @visortgw... I was about to make note that you were using 2 different testing sources, but it looks like you stumbled across that yourself. :) The other thing I would say is to take the results of these tests as more of a general indicator on what's going on in your environment, and may not be true to scale... as results vary from one second to the next depending on router or internet traffic. For instance, I supposedly have a 1Gb connection, but my AC86U can only push maybe up to 500Mb max on these tests due to processor issues... you might have some better equipment to show more real-world stats.
I came to the same conclusion after thinking about it more. Generally, latency/jitter have been measured with an idle connection. I have a 1 Gbps down/35 Mbps up ISP connection, and I generally see from 850-1150 Mbps download and 40+ Mbps in speed tests. The 2.5 Gbps hardware WAN connection between modem and router makes all the difference in the world! I agree with you that saturating the pipe with the download most likely causes the (unseen before, but most likely always there) latency and jitter.

Thank you for taking the time to work through this with me.

Finally installed this, and it seems to be running swimmingly, except:
the wifi page - it says my 2.4 radio is enabled, but it is currently disabled in the Merlin interface, by scheduler.
temp is 20C/15% (standby mode?) but RTRMON says it is enabled...which is probably it's way of saying "The 2.4GHz radio is in standby mode, so it can reactivate per schedule."

or have I caught a bug?
Personally, I'd rather see "Standby- Scheduler" than enabled/disabled
...maybe it's just me.

Finally installed this, and it seems to be running swimmingly, except:
the wifi page - it says my 2.4 radio is enabled, but it is currently disabled in the Merlin interface, by scheduler.
temp is 20C/15% (standby mode?) but RTRMON says it is enabled...which is probably it's way of saying "The 2.4GHz radio is in standby mode, so it can reactivate per schedule."

or have I caught a bug?
Personally, I'd rather see "Standby- Scheduler" than enabled/disabled
...maybe it's just me.
Interesting! I determine whether or not a radio is on by using this command:

Code:
nvram get wl0_radio

If it comes back with "1", then the router considers it to be on? What does it come back with when your scheduler has it disabled?

Interesting! I determine whether or not a radio is on by using this command:

Code:
nvram get wl0_radio

If it comes back with "1", then the router considers it to be on? What does it come back with when your scheduler has it disabled?
I just checked now. sorry for the delay.

that command returns a "1" when scheduler has the 2.4 band disabled (did I mention this is on my AC86?)

I'm going to assume the logic is different between RTRMON and asuswrt-Merlin and that the radio isn't TRULY disabled unless/until it's de-activated in the GUI... IOW, Standby mode to the firmware and therefore enabled (not disabled) to the script.
It's something you might want to consider working in (if possible) for pedants like me when you're confident functionality is otherwise fully developed...

Forgive my nit-pickiness, with many thanks for your work on this

I just checked now. sorry for the delay.

that command returns a "1" when scheduler has the 2.4 band disabled (did I mention this is on my AC86?)

I'm going to assume the logic is different between RTRMON and asuswrt-Merlin and that the radio isn't TRULY disabled unless/until it's de-activated in the GUI... IOW, Standby mode to the firmware and therefore enabled (not disabled) to the script.
It's something you might want to consider working in (if possible) for pedants like me when you're confident functionality is otherwise fully developed...

Forgive my nit-pickiness, with many thanks for your work on this
Forgive my ignorance on this, but I looked everywhere for a scheduler that disables the WiFi. I can't find it. I'm running 386.7_2... I think some older releases had a scheduler link directly under the 2.4 or 5ghz wifi config sections, but I'm not seeing this any longer... unless it's hidden somewhere else now? Only scheduler I could find controlled device access times.

I'd love to test for this in order to show it's disabled, seeing that I have an AC86U as well, but need a way for me to play with this to find it's settings under NVRAM. Let me know how you're using this, ok?

Forgive my ignorance on this, but I looked everywhere for a scheduler that disables the WiFi. I can't find it. I'm running 386.7_2... I think some older releases had a scheduler link directly under the 2.4 or 5ghz wifi config sections, but I'm not seeing this any longer... unless it's hidden somewhere else now? Only scheduler I could find controlled device access times.

I'd love to test for this in order to show it's disabled, seeing that I have an AC86U as well, but need a way for me to play with this to find it's settings under NVRAM. Let me know how you're using this, ok?
Here you go @Viktor Jaep ...

1670980797777.png

See https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...-ax-compatibility-speedtest.79738/post-808306
Thanks @ColDen !! beat me to it...

Last edited:
All I can say is... DERP... thanks! Found it and looking into it! Could have sworn I looked at the professional tab and must have just missed it. ;)
Our old eyes ain't what they used to be.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!