What's new

RTRMON RTRMON v1.6.9 -May 3, 2024- Monitor your Router's Health (New: AMTM, Network Conn/Bandwidth/Diag + Port Scanner + Speedtest) [NEW THREAD OPENED]

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

New minor release with a few fixes suggested by @adahnert coming to you today. Please let me know if that works for you better on non-Merlin firmware out-of-the-box, OK?

v1.14 - (August 17, 2022)
- FIXED:
Based on feedback from @adahnert running on stock Asus firmware, I have made some mods to certain NVRAM calls that don't seem to return any values when running on non-Merlin firmware. Happy to oblige, so now the cache total value defaults to 100 if there is no cache configured (to avoid divide-by-zero errors and wonky progress bars), and the WAN interface name now defaults to "eth0" if this value is returned as a blank.
- ADDED: The router model at the top of the page to easily identify what kind of device this is.

Download:
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/RTRMON/master/rtrmon-1.14.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh"

Screenshot:
rtrmon-1.4-1.jpg

AX88/386.8: Nice summary - thanks for the software! But, ...

When I run "sh /jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh -screen" it dumps me back to the prompt.
When I run "sh /jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh -screen" the second time it says "an instance is running - would you like to connect?," and it does

No big deal. Just sayin'
Thanks again.

This appears to be a very interesting utility, but I am unable to run it on my GT-AX6000 with Merlin 386.7_2 firmware. After setup, I tried to run in monitor mode, and I see the following:

Code:
      ____  __________  __  _______  _   __
     / __ \/_  __/ __ \/  |/  / __ \/ | / /  v1.14
    / /_/ / / / / /_/ / /|_/ / / / /  |/ /
   / _, _/ / / / _, _/ /  / / /_/ / /|  /
  /_/ |_| /_/ /_/ |_/_/  /_/\____/_/ |_/

[Initiating Boot Sequence - Gathering Initial Stats...]

/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh: line 1: arithmetic syntax error] 10 s / 100%
router:/jffs/scripts#

Any thoughts or possible debug info that I could provide?

AX88/386.8: Nice summary - thanks for the software! But, ...

When I run "sh /jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh -screen" it dumps me back to the prompt.
When I run "sh /jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh -screen" the second time it says "an instance is running - would you like to connect?," and it does

No big deal. Just sayin'
Thanks again.
Depending on what you mean with "dumping you back to the prompt", that would be normal behavior. Do you see something like this?

1660764832587.png

Again, normal behavior when you type in that same screen command, because you don't want 2 running, right? :)

The correct way to connect back to your screen session after you've launched it with "rtrmon.sh -screen" is to use the command "screen -r rtrmon"

PS. You should be able to just type "rtrmon -screen" next time as I've aliased it, so you don't need to type in that huge commandline. Cool? :)

Last edited:
This appears to be a very interesting utility, but I am unable to run it on my GT-AX6000 with Merlin 386.7_2 firmware. After setup, I tried to run in monitor mode, and I see the following:

Code:
      ____  __________  __  _______  _   __
     / __ \/_  __/ __ \/  |/  / __ \/ | / /  v1.14
    / /_/ / / / / /_/ / /|_/ / / / /  |/ /
   / _, _/ / / / _, _/ /  / / /_/ / /|  /
  /_/ |_| /_/ /_/ |_/_/  /_/\____/_/ |_/

[Initiating Boot Sequence - Gathering Initial Stats...]

/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh: line 1: arithmetic syntax error] 10 s / 100%
router:/jffs/scripts#

Any thoughts or possible debug info that I could provide?
Ahh... that's a nasty one. So sorry... but I'm definitely curious WHY! :) If you're game, you can turn on debug mode, and send me the last results where it seemed to bomb out?

Uncomment lines 1286, 1287 and 1579, and run it again?

Were you able to get into the setup (rtrmon.sh -setup)?

Ahh... that's a nasty one. So sorry... but I'm definitely curious WHY! :) If you're game, you can turn on debug mode, and send me the last results where it seemed to bomb out?

Uncomment lines 1286, 1287 and 1579, and run it again?

Were you able to get into the setup (rtrmon.sh -setup)?
Yes, I'm able to get into setup.

Here is the the last screen full of spewage before it crashes:

Code:
+ awk -v rb=0.00 -v intv=10 BEGIN{printf "%0.2f\n", rb/intv}
+ displaycpunice1=0.00
+ [ ! -z 937.60 ]
+ awk -v rb=937.60 -v intv=10 BEGIN{printf "%0.2f\n", rb/intv}
+ displaycpuidle1=93.76
+ [ -f /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp ]
+ timeout 10 cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp
+ cut -c -2
+ F_cputemp=59
+ [ ! -z 9715108 ]
+ memused1=971510
+ [ ! -z 473372 ]
+ memfree1=47337
+ [ ! -z 34480 ]
+ memshrd1=3448
+ [ ! -z 642776 ]
+ membuff1=64277
+ [ ! -z 2697312 ]
+ memcach1=269731
+ memused2=948
+ memfree2=46
+ memshrd2=3
+ membuff2=62
+ memcach2=263
+ totalmemory=994
+ timeout 10 nvram show
+ eval
+ chmod 755 /tmp/size.txt
+ awk {print $2, $4} /tmp/size.txt
+ nvramtotals=85393 (45679
+ + awk {print $1}
echo 85393 (45679
+ nvramused=85393
+ + awk {print $2}
echo+ sed s/[)(]//g
 85393 (45679
+ nvramfree=45679
+ [ -z 85393 ]
+ [ -z 45679 ]
+ totalnvram=131072
+ timeout 10 df -P
+ grep -E /jffs
+ + grepawk {print $2, $3}
 /dev
+ disk_use=
+ echo
+ awk {print $1}
+ jffstotal=
+ echo
+ awk {print $2}
+ jffsused=
rtrmon.sh: line 1: arithmetic syntax error

Let me know what else you might need. Thanks!

Yes, I'm able to get into setup.

Here is the the last screen full of spewage before it crashes:

Code:
+ awk -v rb=0.00 -v intv=10 BEGIN{printf "%0.2f\n", rb/intv}
+ displaycpunice1=0.00
+ [ ! -z 937.60 ]
+ awk -v rb=937.60 -v intv=10 BEGIN{printf "%0.2f\n", rb/intv}
+ displaycpuidle1=93.76
+ [ -f /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp ]
+ timeout 10 cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp
+ cut -c -2
+ F_cputemp=59
+ [ ! -z 9715108 ]
+ memused1=971510
+ [ ! -z 473372 ]
+ memfree1=47337
+ [ ! -z 34480 ]
+ memshrd1=3448
+ [ ! -z 642776 ]
+ membuff1=64277
+ [ ! -z 2697312 ]
+ memcach1=269731
+ memused2=948
+ memfree2=46
+ memshrd2=3
+ membuff2=62
+ memcach2=263
+ totalmemory=994
+ timeout 10 nvram show
+ eval
+ chmod 755 /tmp/size.txt
+ awk {print $2, $4} /tmp/size.txt
+ nvramtotals=85393 (45679
+ + awk {print $1}
echo 85393 (45679
+ nvramused=85393
+ + awk {print $2}
echo+ sed s/[)(]//g
85393 (45679
+ nvramfree=45679
+ [ -z 85393 ]
+ [ -z 45679 ]
+ totalnvram=131072
+ timeout 10 df -P
+ grep -E /jffs
+ + grepawk {print $2, $3}
/dev
+ disk_use=
+ echo
+ awk {print $1}
+ jffstotal=
+ echo
+ awk {print $2}
+ jffsused=
rtrmon.sh: line 1: arithmetic syntax error

Let me know what else you might need. Thanks!
Seems like it doesn't like what it's getting back from your /jffs stats...

Could you please run this and let me know what it kicks back?

Code:
df -P | grep /dev | grep -E '/jffs'

Code:
Absolutely nothing — back to cursor.

Code:
Might this shed some light on the issue?

Code:
# df -P | grep -E '/jffs'
ubi:jffs2                45528     10468     32700  24% /jffs

Last edited:

Code:
Nice find... I'll modify this command because for some reason yours kicks back "ubi", while mine kicks back "dev". Stand by! :)

Code:

Please give this a shot and see if it fixes that issue for you?

Download:
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/RTRMON/master/rtrmon-1.15.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh"

Please give this a shot and see if it fixes that issue for you?

Download:
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ViktorJp/RTRMON/master/rtrmon-1.15.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh" && chmod a+rx "/jffs/scripts/rtrmon.sh"
Yes, it does! Monitor mode now launches correctly. Thanks!

@Viktor Jaep Another question: Shouldn't screen mode initiate directly from the "sh rtrmon.sh -screen" command?
Code:
Executing RTRMON using the SCREEN utility...

Reconnect at any time using the command 'screen -r rtrmon'
To exit the SCREEN session, type: CTRL-A + D

Press any key to continue...

Pressing any key returns me to the command prompt. Entering "screen -r rtrmon" actually launches the monitor screen.

@Viktor Jaep Another question: Shouldn't screen mode initiate directly from the "sh rtrmon.sh -screen" command?
Code:
Executing RTRMON using the SCREEN utility...

Reconnect at any time using the command 'screen -r rtrmon'
To exit the SCREEN session, type: CTRL-A + D

Press any key to continue...

Pressing any key returns me to the command prompt. Entering "screen -r rtrmon" actually launches the monitor screen.
That's expected behavior. When you run "rtrmon -screen", it launches rtrmon in a separate screen environment, aside from the command prompt you are currently in right now. When you execute "screen -r rtrmon", you are opening up a viewer to see what's happening in that separate environment. That's why you have to make sure you're exiting this separate environment correctly by hitting CTRL A + D, else it terminates that environment.

@Viktor Jaep Another question (now that you fixed the script to work on the GT-AX6000, I can actually dive in...): For speedtest, it appears that you cap the reported speeds/percentages at the max configured download/upload rates. Have you considered reporting rates/percentages above 100%? My Spectrum service is reported to be 1 Gbps download/35 Mbps upload. I routinely see 1150 Mbps (or so) download and 40+ Mbps upload due to over provisioning. If I configure the max rates to 1024/35, my results always show 1024/35/100% (unless it is a bad Spectrum day, of course). If I configure the max rates to be 1200/45, my percentages are under 100%.

@Viktor Jaep Another question (now that you fixed the script to work on the GT-AX6000, I can actually dive in...): For speedtest, it appears that you cap the reported speeds/percentages at the max configured download/upload rates. Have you considered reporting rates/percentages above 100%? My Spectrum service is reported to be 1 Gbps download/35 Mbps upload. I routinely see 1150 Mbps (or so) download and 40+ Mbps upload due to over provisioning. If I configure the max rates to 1024/35, my results always show 1024/35/100% (unless it is a bad Spectrum day, of course). If I configure the max rates to be 1200/45, my percentages are under 100%.
That did cross my mind... but it was easier at the time to just cap it to 100% of the specified value. I'll look into what I can do to indicate >100% ;)

That did cross my mind... but it was easier at the time to just cap it to 100% of the specified value. I'll look into what I can do to indicate >100% ;)
Thanks! It would have never been an issue before I upgraded to the GT-AX6000 with its 2.5 Gbps WAN port coupled with Spectrum modem with its 2.5 Gbps port. Previous routers with 1 Gbps WAN ports and/or slower CPUs (RT-AX88U and RT-AX86U) would cap at 600-800 Mbps downloads using the same Spectrum 1 Gbps service.

Thanks! It would have never been an issue before I upgraded to the GT-AX6000 with its 2.5 Gbps WAN port coupled with Spectrum modem with its 2.5 Gbps port. Previous routers with 1 Gbps WAN ports and/or slower CPUs (RT-AX88U and RT-AX86U) would cap at 600-800 Mbps downloads using the same Spectrum 1 Gbps service.
Yeah, I know what you mean... mine won't get much higher than 500Mbps on a 1GB circuit... :(

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but this app is suppose to save time by collecting important info in one spot. Whenever I connect, I have to look at your directions in order to start it up. I just want to be able to ssh and type rtrmon (yes, I can scroll the history if I haven't been screwing around with other commands recently). Otherwise it isn't saving time and it is hogging some resources. I really appreciate what you and others are doing for the merlin platform, but sometimes you just need to step back and question the if your approach matches the desired app usage. Thanks for all your work.