What's new

Ruckus Support

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Avery

Regular Contributor
As was recommended by Trip, I'm looking at some used used R510 access points, and want to confirm my understanding of the security patching. I know Trip mentioned 3 years of security patching after end of software updates. The diagram from the Ruckus support doc, is below.

Does anyone know if these security updates are in the form of firmware updates, or how frequent they come? It sounds like they come until End of Support. I wasn't sure if they only address the most serious day 0 vulnerabilities or if they pretty much do full security patching through end of support.

Does anyone know? I tried to reach out to Ruckus by a few means, without success.

Also, I read something about only certain persons being able to download the firmware... is this an issue, or even if I buy these used, I should be able to get to them easily?

I just want to make sure before I jump into a used solution that I'll have full security patching available.
1602890023722.png

Last edited:
I was going to go down the path of the Cisco SMB wifi routers, but then they don't have 802.11k/v. And, seamless roaming is very important, since I both use VOIP on my iPhone, and because I will have at least 4 AP's.

I was also interested in Ubiquity, until hearing they were high on the tweaking factor side of things (both here and in other reviews), and life is so packed, I just don't have time to be messing around a lot (and don't have $ to hire someone to do it all).

Then, Trip seemed to be quite fond of the Ruckus AP's, with good direct experience, and it seemed like a product that fit well, except for needing to buy used to keep costs reasonable. I'm OK with the used factor, but do want to make sure I understand what I'm getting in terms of security support.

I'm all ears if you have other ideas.

I have no issues with my iPhone VoIP roaming using my Cisco wireless WAP581 APs. I also run a Cisco L3 switch which may help.

If you want to use Ruckus just buy a newer product and don't worry about the life cycle of the product.

Thanks, Coxhaus. I just looked up the WAP581, and it looks like it also does not have 802.11 r/k/v. Does that sound right to you? \ I will probably eventually end up with a cisco SMB switch.

New Ruckus is just too spendy for me (5+ AP's), esp. when I'm also in the middle of a remodel, so it will be probably used Ruckus or Cisco.

Last edited:
I was thinking a newer used Ruckus model with more support since you are worried.

Cisco does not list 802.11k/v but they do support 802.11e wireless QoS and fast roaming 802.11r. I have no problem with voice call roaming. My test is call from 1 iPhone to another iPhone on another Cisco wireless WAP581 AP. I then talk walking past the other wireless AP and see if I lose any words in the sentence when my call roams. My very old Cisco APs dropped words but did not disconnect or drop calls. My Cisco WAP581 APs do not drop any words out of the sentence for me.

I can't get anybody to try this test so I don't know if it is me or my setup. So, I recommend this test when you first receive your wireless APs so you can send them back if it does not work for you. My APs are on different channels.

PS
Cisco shows using a SSID for voice and maybe if I had a heavier data load, I would need to setup my network that way but I have not had to resort to that.

PPS
Maybe Cisco thinks 802.11k/v is more enterprise stuff and it is not needed in small setups.

Last edited:
@Avery - Admittedly, Ruckus life cycles and cost makes it somewhat difficult to buy used and get comparable support longevity versus lower-cost SMB products bought new. On the plus side, getting the firmware itself (for any AP or controller ever released, on any firmware train) is actually quite easy, with or without a support contract -- you simply go to support.ruckuswireless.com and register an account. But that doesn't solve the software update longevity issue; it's still going to be shorter than what you'll typically get from Cisco CBW, UniFi or even Omada -- bought new -- versus buying half-a-generation old Ruckus (or older).

Since you're that concerned, you may want to lean towards a less costly product and just buy new. Just because I've had such a good experience, doesn't mean there aren't other products out there that would likely suffice well enough for your use-case. If you're still excluding Cisco, there is also EnGenius enSky (EWS series APs) and even TP-Link Omada may suffice, as they should have full 802.11r/k/v support for most of their EAP series (do double-check that, though).

I don't see 802.11k/v as being that important unless you are stacking APs together for higher density which would require a pretty smart controller that can work on that level.

I had a bad experience with TP-Link in that when they put out new hardware, they tend to drop support too fast for older hardware. I guess they expect you just to buy new hardware over and over again.