What's new

Ruckus Unleashed Multicast Issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It seems if you use Unleashed on a Ruckus AP it changes all multicast/broadcast to unicast which will mess up Sonos, Homekit, google home probably others. If you use a controller then this is not the case.

Multicast Directed-threshold versus directed-multicast commands | Knowledge Base | Ruckus Wireless Support

Anybody notice any issues?

I have not used Ruckus APs so I have no real information other than I read this.
No, and being updated on the latest 200.7, 200.8 or 200.9 controller versions, there are no issues.

Also, that link is to a KB article referencing the optional ability to convert multicast to unicast traffic, per admin preference. It's not a bug reference. And the products covered are ZD (ZoneDirector) and SZ (SmartZone) controllers, not Unleashed. Perhaps you got confused there?

As an aside, there was a previous bug (ER-7600) with handling of multicast directional traffic in older versions of Unleashed, circa early 200.7, but that was patched as of 200.7 MR Refresh 5 (need a free Ruckus account to read the release notes).

Could be as I do not have an account. I just read that using Unleashed multicast traffic was being converted to unicast to make the AP faster. The problem was it screwed up multicast applications. So, you think it is fixed now?

This was not a problem using a controller with Ruckus.

Pretty certain multicast is just fine on latest 200.7, .8 and .9. I just setup iPad printing (from Square) to several Star Micronics receipt printers the other day at a customer with a Ruckus Unleashed network on latest 200.7, and it's working flawlessly.
I just read that using Unleashed multicast traffic was being converted to unicast to make the AP faster. The problem was it screwed up multicast applications.
Can you link to where you read that? I'd be interested to see it, as I'm sure others might as well.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!