What's new

Running firmware 376.45 on RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

danimal

New Around Here
Hi all,

I'm out of my depth when it comes to networking. I have a couple of questions and could do with some recommendations.

1.) My network is running great on firmware 376.45, which i originally installed years ago to allow me to use 3rd party routers (RT-AC68U) with SKY broadband.

Should I update my firmware or leave things as they are?

Worried about anything going wrong during any update - hence my reluctance.

2.) I'm now using Virgin broadband and they allow you to use 3rd party routers. I've put my hitron in modem mode only and it works well with the RT-AC68U (although for some reason the ethernet connection is a little slower (~375mbps to ~300mbps).

So should i still use merlin or switch to normal asus firmware now that my provider allows it?

3.) Assuming you guys recommend I stick to merlin and update my firmware - which is the best (safest) version to download? There seems to be a couple of candidates
Also, looking at the Readme-Merlin it says that:

"NOTE: resetting to factory default after flashing is strongly recommended for the following cases:
- Updating from a firmware version that is more than 3 releases older"

Would i be right in thinking this is my situation coming from 376.45?

So once I update the firmware, I need to pull the power plug and then put it back in whilst holding the reset button for a few seconds? "Press the reset button, and while keeping it pressed turn it back on. Wait a few seconds until the power led blinks, and then release the reset button."

Should i be backing up my current configuration in case something goes wrong?

Sorry, for all the questions, just very nervous about doing this update.

Many thanks for any responses and taking the time to read my post. :)

384.7_2 is the latest Merlin release. Go with that one.

Definitely do a reset. You can simply reset to factory defaults within the router and set up everything manually.

Important before you proceed, since you’re on 376.45:

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Installation

The RT-AC68U and RT-AC56U need to be at least on firmware 378.55 (or the last 378.xxx version from Asus) before you can flash 380.xx, due to the partition size change.

All complete and a successfull update... first to 378.55 and then to 384.1_2.
Many thanks to scjr and loveleeyoungae for responding to my post and giving me the confidence to update my firmware and for helping me avoid some big and avoidable errors in the process. With the update, I'm also getting full ethernet speed again which is fantastic.
Many thanks indeed.
:)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!