What's new

RV082 an early-2008 MacBookPro - strange DNS timeouts

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kovacs

New Around Here
Ever since we change the office router I've had some odd issues with my laptop on the office network.

Basically the DNS lookup seems to time out.
It just takes forever, no actual time-out message.

I thought it was the network, but all other computers worked very well.
And my computer worked very well on any other network.

In an earlier version of the Operating system, I was able to setup a local DNS cache, which solved the problem.

But with the latest OS, Lion, this is no possible. So I need to run a command in the terminal hundreds of times a day to get the web connections going. (sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder)

I found an article recently, that was talking about some routers not handling SRV requests ( as opposed to the old school A record request ). That's the closest I got as a description to my problem. ( they say requests can take up to 14 seconds but in my case, things go over forever. I've tested past 10 minutes)

I'll have the network admin update the firmware on the router this morning.

Has anyone dealt with anything like this?

Is the router handling DNS? If an inability to parse SRV requests is the root cause, not relying on the router to do so is a quick workaround.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!