What's new

RVS4000 router problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

coxhaus

Part of the Furniture
I just started working on setting up a routed network inside my house again. I don’t own a layer 3 switch. I seem to have a problem with the inside Cisco RVS4000 router. When the router is in gateway mode all works fine but it is a double NAT which I don’t want. When I change to router mode DSN seems to fail. I can trace route out to the internet fine in router mode but I cannot run a browser. I can even do an nslookup. I am running the latest firmware V2.0.3.2. I thought I would contact Cisco but my router is out of warranty and I don’t want to be charged. Any ideas?
My internet gateway is a Cisco RV180 router with a static route pointing to the inside router for its network. I have also tried a Cisco RVS4000 router as the front door and the same thing happens.
PS
Just to be more specific.
I can toggle between gateway mode and router mode with the router's web page up while opening a browser on the same PC after changing modes and the browser just times out when in router mode and works normally in gateway mode.

Last edited:
I just figured out this is an Untangle issue. I run Untangle as a transparent bridge firewall. I completely remove Untangle as a transparent bridge and the routing mode now works. Sorry for posting this. It is funny Untangle blocks routing but not NAT.

I guess I should completely answer this issue. It was an operator issue. Untangle defines your valid network space by the size of the mask on its IP address. When you have a routed network behind Untangle ,just add the additional network to Untangle and all is well.