What's new

Safe to enable USB3?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mario64

Regular Contributor
Hi all,

I have two AX68’s in a router / AP configuration and recently have a need for network storage. All of my LAN ports are occupied so I was thinking about connecting an external SSD. What gives me concern, however, is I’ve read that enabling USB3 on the router causes connectivity issues with devices using that band. Is this true?

Thanks,
mario

What band?

No, it doesn't impact the 2.4GHz band by default.

It depends on the USB 3 device, the cable it uses, and other factors too (such as shielding on the USB port itself, on the router).

No, it doesn't impact the 2.4GHz band by default.

It depends on the USB 3 device, the cable it uses, and other factors too (such as shielding on the USB port itself, on the router).
I see. With an AX68, is there a particular drive that’s known to be compatible and not cause issues?

Not the only variable. Only testing in your environment will prove one way or another for the specific device/cable/router/port used, and client devices you rely on.

Hi all,

I have two AX68’s in a router / AP configuration and recently have a need for network storage. All of my LAN ports are occupied so I was thinking about connecting an external SSD. What gives me concern, however, is I’ve read that enabling USB3 on the router causes connectivity issues with devices using that band. Is this true?

Thanks,
mario
Yes, that's true. So, you need to do this.
Administration>USB Setting>USB Mode>USB 2.0. Remember if you use external SDD, NVME, HDD, USB Flash Drive something USB Sleep Mode(hibernation) doesn't work at all. It means your storage works for 24 hours and 7 days a week. ASUS never fix this issue for years.
It doesn't work even if you have the Enclosure which supports own sleep mode. :mad:

USB3 on direct attached storage still does impact devices over in the 2.4GHz band...
Actually, this depends a lot on the cable used. Did a fair bit of testing on this back in the day when I was at Securifi, as it really messed with the ZigBee radio in the Almond+ and with a good quality cable there are no issues, but I couldn't tell you what a good quality cable is. We had a WD external drive with a short cable that caused all kinds of interference, whereas some fairly cheap cables om the computer market caused no issues at all. This was all using the same drive.

I see. With an AX68, is there a particular drive that’s known to be compatible and not cause issues?
See my reply to one of the comments here above.
As already pointed out, you're going to have to test different combinations and see if you get issues or not.
Normally it doesn't tend to be the drives themselves, but rather the cables that are the issue.

When I played with router USB3.0, EMI with 2.4 clients was noticeable at great distance (weak signals; streaming drops/corruption)... about 300 feet. I assume there is also EMI at closer range BUT signals are stronger and the affect was not noticable by my measurement... streaming drops/corruption.

OE

We had a WD external drive with a short cable that caused all kinds of interference, whereas some fairly cheap cables om the computer market caused no issues at all. This was all using the same drive.

Yeah, but that USB3 drive may have fell back to USB2 if the cable couldn't support the USB3 rates...

Yeah, but that USB3 drive may have fell back to USB2 if the cable couldn't support the USB3 rates...
That wasn't the issue, all the cables performed at USB 3.0 speeds. I've done enough testing in my life to know how to test something that simple properly.

When I played with router USB3.0, EMI with 2.4 clients was noticeable at great distance (weak signals; streaming drops/corruption)... about 300 feet. I assume there is also EMI at closer range BUT signals are stronger and the affect was not noticable by my measurement... streaming drops/corruption.

OE
Get better cables, it should not be like that at all.

Get better cables, it should not be like that at all.

If I intended to burden my router with USB3 use, I would try that... not much else to try. But I was just playing and with a pretty good cable. My post was to alert the reader to this potential EMI trouble with their equipment, whatever they have.

Perhaps you could explain to them what 'better cables' means to help them to choose one.

OE

USB 3.0 cable is just ok. Inside? It's shielded with Aluminum foil. The interference is not from the cable but from the plug and port area.
I guarantee this may help you a lot. You need to cover both of plugs if you use a Storage. Avoid plastic Enclosures. I really recommend metal Enclosures.

Last edited:
If I intended to burden my router with USB3 use, I would try that... not much else to try. But I was just playing and with a pretty good cable. My post was to alert the reader to this potential EMI trouble with their equipment, whatever they have.

Perhaps you could explain to them what 'better cables' means to help them to choose one.

OE
See my post above. There's no logic to it from my testing, as the cables are clearly certified, but some cables stil emit terrible EMI. I've tested cheap and expensive cables and some cheap cables were better than the expensive ones.

USB 3.0 cable is just ok. Inside? It's shielded with Aluminum foil. The interference is not from the cable but from the plug and port area.
I guarantee this may help you a lot. You need to cover both of plugs if you use a Storage. Avoid plastic Enclosures. I really recommend metal Enclosures.
Uhm, that's not at all my experience based on the testing I did a few years ago when I worked at a router manufacturer.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!