What's new

Safe to enable USB3?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Urgh, maybe you should've read my previous comments in the thread. I'm well aware of the issue due to having worked at a router manufacturer as mentioned above.
I don't think there is a relationship between USB interference and your own experience.

So the fact that I've tested the interference when I worked at a router manufacturer isn't relevant? Ok dude...
The fact that my Aluminum foil test works great. It's different from your test. My test was almost same as Intel's test. I think there was something wrong with your test or different environment and situation maybe. And many people have a same result like me.

Last edited:
So the fact that I've tested the interference when I worked at a router manufacturer isn't relevant? Ok dude...
As usual he's completely missed the point of this thread which is not about using a USB wireless dongle in an adjacent port to a USB3 storage device. This thread was discussing a wireless router where there are multiple antennas (with higher gain) placed away from the USB ports. This is similar to the Intel test (Table 4-1, Case 2) which said it mitigated their problem.

I tested this in real life with a few USB sticks and external enclosures on my RT-AX86U. USB3 mode does introduce some RF noise, the usable range on 2.4GHz is reduced with few dBm and only devices at the edge of usable coverage area may suffer. For closer devices with better SNR there is no much of a difference in user experience.

I tested this in real life with a few USB sticks and external enclosures on my RT-AX86U. USB3 mode does introduce some RF noise, the usable range on 2.4GHz is reduced with few dBm and only devices at the edge of usable coverage area may suffer. For closer devices with better SNR there is no much of a difference in user experience.
USB dongles are as you say, but as soon as you introduce a cable to the mix, it can end up being really bad, depending on the quality of the cable, as I've mentioned. When I did the testing, some cables knocked out the ZigBee radio in the Almond+ and the 2.4 GHz WiFi range dropped to a third or less with really bad cables. A good cable had similar effect as plugging in a USB dongle.

I have a bunch of common Kingston/Sandisk USB drives and a few Orico/Ugreen external HDD/SSD cases for tests. The results were not that bad. What I can say for sure is USB3 mode indeed affects the 2.4GHz network performance, but how much in every specific case - what you say, it depends. For some users that smart plug or color changing light in the far room not working anymore may be a deal breaker. I personally don't have such IoT "smart" stuff related issues.

As usual he's completely missed the point of this thread which is not about using a USB wireless dongle in an adjacent port to a USB3 storage device. This thread was discussing a wireless router where there are multiple antennas (with higher gain) placed away from the USB ports. This is similar to the Intel test (Table 4-1, Case 2) which said it mitigated their problem.
What I missed? You don't even understand what I'm talking about. I just gave him an example with Dongles. I've tested routers and External HDDs. I'm using External HDDs with USB 3.0 and Aluminum Foil. It gives me no or much less interference. 'Much less interference' doesn't mean there is interference, because I can't feel any interference. I can only hear so weak noise with headsets very few times, no disconnection, no lagging, no delay and so on. The weak noise happens not often. I'm using a lot of wireless devices including Mice, Laptops, Desktops, Phones, Tabs, Speakers, IoT devices and other wireless devices. They are working great even if they are right after the router which is using External HDDs(USB 3.0). They are working great even if I transfer or read files. Of course I'm using thick and shielded USB 3.0 cables. BTW, ASUS never fixes USB sleep mode for years.:mad:
And look at this guy.

Think about this.
Do you transfer files to HDDs for 24 hours and 7 days a week?
Do you read files from HDDs for 24 hours and 7 days a week?
There is only one thing gives me horrible interference. A MICROWAVE.

Last edited:
USB dongles are as you say, but as soon as you introduce a cable to the mix, it can end up being really bad, depending on the quality of the cable, as I've mentioned. When I did the testing, some cables knocked out the ZigBee radio in the Almond+ and the 2.4 GHz WiFi range dropped to a third or less with really bad cables. A good cable had similar effect as plugging in a USB dongle.
Most of well known Enclosures come with shielded quality USB 3.0 cables. We don't have to talk about quality of cables. You don't have to talk about the garbage Securifi Almond routers. 🤔They are so old and have interference issue. I had it long time ago. I bought it because it had a a screen. You saw the inside of it right? I saw the inside of it.🤣 Total garbage.

I tested this in real life with a few USB sticks and external enclosures on my RT-AX86U. USB3 mode does introduce some RF noise, the usable range on 2.4GHz is reduced with few dBm and only devices at the edge of usable coverage area may suffer.

A few dBm is actually a big thing - 3dB is half the power or twice the noise...

Decibels are relative power and logarithmic...

A few dBm is actually a big thing - 3dB is half the power or twice the noise...

This is the choice users have to make - USB3 attached storage or this far IoT device working. I never had anything USB3 attached to a router and decided to test it with popular USB devices from Amazon and a popular around Asus router. My results - yes, USB3 has negative impact on 2.4GHz Wi-Fi. To what extent - it depends.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!