What's new

same port number of both openvpn servers?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

muffi

New Around Here
hello

I'm running an RT-AC88U, and just upgraded to the latest 384.11
I've been running an OpenVPN server in TUN mode for some time now. I'd now like to activate Server 2 as well, and run it in TAP mode.

Qustion is, can I use the same port number on both OpenVPN Server instances?

Thanks
Muffi

hello

I'm running an RT-AC88U, and just upgraded to the latest 384.11
I've been running an OpenVPN server in TUN mode for some time now. I'd now like to activate Server 2 as well, and run it in TAP mode.

Qustion is, can I use the same port number on both OpenVPN Server instances?

Thanks
Muffi
No. Use 1194 for one and 1195 for the other, or 443.

Thank you! I was already using port 443.
I'm thinking of changing the SSH port number to something else, and using port 22 for the second server. your thoughts?

By all means change the SSH port to an obscure number; you don’t have SSH open from the WAN side, do you?

But why change the second server port to 22? For starters, port 22 is one that is ripe for probing by hackers, being the system port for SSH, so you don’t want it listening if you can help it. Would not an obscure port in the private ports section (49152-65535)) be better?

And as for port 443, if you’re running pixelserv-tls, see elorimer’s words of wisdom here:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ab-solution-the-ad-blocking-solution.37511/page-154#post-405500

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!