What's new

Samsung Blu Ray P1600 wireless dongle

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cassidamius

New Around Here
Hi,
I am just beginning to read up on home networking and I am interested in connecting our Samsung P1600 Blu Ray player to the internet to stream Netflix. My internet connection is on our first floor and the TV/Blu Ray player are on the second floor, so I need to stream via the wireless router (Wireless-N).

Can I use any Wireless-N adapter such as this?
http://www.amazon.com/Medialink-Wireless-Adapter-802-11n-Compatible/dp/B002RM08RE/ref=pd_cp_e_2

Or, would you suggest I use the Samsung Dongle (at almost twice the price)?
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-WIS09ABGN-WIRELESS-LINKSTICK-WIS09ABGN2/dp/B004WAP3RY/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I think our Samsung Plasma may be able to stream directly as well, but I'll have to look into that. I bought the Blu Ray for my girlfriend (now my wife) and she bought the TV about two years ago, so the TV capability will take more research on my part.

We watch very little TV and I am considering cutting the cord with our cable company for a cheaper alternative.

Thanks in advance! I just discovered this site yesterday when I decided we needed a new router and have spent a great deal of time reading the articles and forum threads.

Another idea I have is to use an extra Linksys WRT54G wireless router at my entertainment console as a bridge from my access point (Wireless-N router). Is this possible and will this give enough throughput to seamlessly stream internet content to my TV and BD player (2nd floor)?

ASUS RT-N56U at the access point (1st floor).

Additionally, our bedrooms are on the 3rd floor where we also would like to receive a strong Wi-Fi signal.

Last edited:
You can try another USB adapter if you like. But the player's wireless adapter driver will support only adapters with certain chipsets. This thread has some info.

Another alternative is to use the Ethernet port and a pair of HomePlug AV adapters or a wireless Ethernet bridge.

You might be able to load alternative firmware onto the WRT54G to turn it into a bridge. But it depends on the exact model. Look at the supported routers at the DD-WRT and Tomato sites (two popular router distros). But note that you will be limited to 802.11g speeds, which are not high enough for HD video streaming.

If you are trying to bridge two floors with a single router, you won't get a strong one. Again, your best bet is to use HomePlug to get an Ethernet jack up to that floor, then install an access point if you want one.

Tim,
Thanks for the information on the Samsung dongle alternative. I ordered the Rosewill RNX-N1. Once I receive the adapter and attach to my TV or BD player, I'll post an update on the results.

I appreciate your help!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!