What's new

Samsung Smart TV 6820 series wireless connection to ASUS RT-AC66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Socor

New Around Here
Hello - I have a Samsung TV 6820 series which has never had a problem connecting to my wireless network. That is, until I purchased a new router - an ASUS RT-AC66U. Now the TV will not connect. It can see my router, but when I select it and enter the correct password, the message returned is the the connection failed. It does not say that the user or password is incorrect, just that the "connection failed".

Wondering if anyone else has experienced issues connecting to their ASUS wireless network? I've checked all settings, and have no issues with other devices connecting, whether it be the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz bands. I did try changing the "wireless mode" from Auto to Legacy. As the TV connected fine with my old router, I'm guessing this is not an issues with the wireless card in the TV.

Any suggested would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for this. Unfortunately, the thread doesn't address the issue I'm currently having. I'm using stock ASUS firmware. Up-to-date version: 3.0.0.4.385_20252-ga052d4c

Further info: I have tried setting a static IP address, but the problem persists. Was not a problem with my previous Liksys.
Wireless Mode: Auto (have tried on all settings: N/AC Mixed, and Legacy)
Channel Bandwidth: 20 MHz
Control Channel: Auto

Just about out of ideas.

Thanks for this. Unfortunately, the thread doesn't address the issue I'm currently having. I'm using stock ASUS firmware. Up-to-date version: 3.0.0.4.385_20252-ga052d4c

Further info: I have tried setting a static IP address, but the problem persists. Was not a problem with my previous Liksys.
Wireless Mode: Auto (have tried on all settings: N/AC Mixed, and Legacy)
Channel Bandwidth: 20 MHz
Control Channel: Auto

Just about out of ideas.

Perhaps try disabling Airtime Fairness and Universal Beamforming per band.

OE

Thanks for the tip. Damn thing still won't connect. Tried with both disabled. As far as this issue goes, do you think there's any advantage to me switching to Merlin? I know I"m just spinning my wheels here...

Thanks for the tip. Damn thing still won't connect. Tried with both disabled. As far as this issue goes, do you think there's any advantage to me switching to Merlin? I know I"m just spinning my wheels here...

Can you wire it?

OE

Yes. Works great wired, but I have only one cable pulled into that room, which also uses an android box, which I prefer to use hardwired. I'm just lazy and it's a hassle to keep swapping the cables from the tv to the android box. Also, it just annoys me when something doesn't work when it should.

Let me elaborate on my last comment. If I swap out my new Asus for my old Linksys, the TV connects fine. This tells me it's something - some setting - in the Asus device which is preventing me from connecting. This is the thing that annoys me, mostly. It should work, or at least be fixable.

Yes. Works great wired, but I have only one cable pulled into that room, which also uses an android box, which I prefer to use hardwired. I'm just lazy and it's a hassle to keep swapping the cables from the tv to the android box. Also, it just annoys me when something doesn't work when it should.
Why not add a switch or hub to the end of that cable then both devices could be wired.

Me, I would put an 8-port switch there and wire the media clients for a Gigabit, full-duplex, robust connection. As you say, it will work great!

Yes, the Linksys worked... but did it work like the AC66U should?... so maybe it's not the same deal and maybe you don't need to solve every defect that presents itself, especially when you have an out that is the better solution... wiring your media center boxes.

Are you using the same SSID for both bands? Is it a simple name, no odd characters? Have you tried connecting to open WiFi?

OE

Me, I would put an 8-port switch there and wire the media clients for a Gigabit, full-duplex, robust connection. As you say, it will work great!

Yes, the Linksys worked... but did it work like the AC66U should?... so maybe it's not the same deal and maybe you don't need to solve every defect that presents itself, especially when you have an out that is the better solution... wiring your media center boxes.

Are you using the same SSID for both bands? Is it a simple name, no odd characters? Have you tried connecting to open WiFi?

OE

Hi, someone suggested you re-configure your firmware replacing the stock with the stellar Merlin code. Go to;
https://sourceforge.net/projects/asuswrt-merlin/files/
to insure your model router supports Merlin. Usually, you can choose between the standard version or the beta if one is available. I've been using ASUS routers for a long time now and I cannot think of a single reason not to use the Merlin firmware over the stock ASUS. The reasons to upgrade are too numerous to define here but there is ample documentation defining such. It's Very easy to do and the few steps on how to do it are well documented as well.

Hello - I have a Samsung TV 6820 series which has never had a problem connecting to my wireless network. That is, until I purchased a new router - an ASUS RT-AC66U. Now the TV will not connect. It can see my router, but when I select it and enter the correct password, the message returned is the the connection failed. It does not say that the user or password is incorrect, just that the "connection failed".

Wondering if anyone else has experienced issues connecting to their ASUS wireless network? I've checked all settings, and have no issues with other devices connecting, whether it be the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz bands. I did try changing the "wireless mode" from Auto to Legacy. As the TV connected fine with my old router, I'm guessing this is not an issues with the wireless card in the TV.

Any suggested would be greatly appreciated!

Have you tried it manually? Type SSID and Password manually something like that?

Hi, someone suggested you re-configure your firmware replacing the stock with the stellar Merlin code. Go to;
https://sourceforge.net/projects/asuswrt-merlin/files/
to insure your model router supports Merlin. Usually, you can choose between the standard version or the beta if one is available. I've been using ASUS routers for a long time now and I cannot think of a single reason not to use the Merlin firmware over the stock ASUS. The reasons to upgrade are too numerous to define here but there is ample documentation defining such. It's Very easy to do and the few steps on how to do it are well documented as well.

I've been thinking of trying Merlin, but I'm hard-pressed to find a reason to do it. It's my understanding that the idea of Merlin is to bring "minor functionality adjustments" ... That being the case, I have to decide if it's worth it to move away from stock ASUS. Guess I'll have to do a little research. Thanks!

@Socor, RMerlin is a very humble router wizard and not one to toot his own horn! :)

What he considers 'minor functionality adjustments' is the difference between a router that works at an acceptable level for some, to a router that works at an exceptional level for many.

A customer was also not keen to put on 'third party firmware' on his router. After a week of the most stable network he'd ever experienced in his home, he too was sold on RMerlin (+ scripts).

Worth it? You're punishing yourself if you don't. ;)

I've been thinking of trying Merlin, but I'm hard-pressed to find a reason to do it. It's my understanding that the idea of Merlin is to bring "minor functionality adjustments" ... That being the case, I have to decide if it's worth it to move away from stock ASUS. Guess I'll have to do a little research. Thanks!

Hi Socor, what you say does make sense and your being cadid is appreciated. Just 2 things to say that may help. As a former Applications Developer myself, for almost 30 years there were many things I had to program for with a shotgun approach. What I mean is, to be successful you had to reach a large diversified market. To do that I had to code for multiple scenarios thereby increasing the app to where it was refered to as bloatware, etc., etc. In today's networking world, the authors of this excellent firmware, the regular contributors to this forum (perhaps others as well) who convey to us their extensive knowledge , experience, all freely, without charge are to be commended. Simplistically, what he's (they've?) done is removed the shotgun approach and replaced it with a high powered rifle. He's taken a good thing and created a Very good thing, and accomplished this to where an individual with basic skills, a minimum of understanding (enough to recognize that there are better ways to do some things) can easily download the latest iteration of the firmware. It's no small feat! Please, Google (duckduckgo is better) the Merlin firmware and invest a half hour to learn what this person(s) has accomplished. If I'm not mistaken I believe that each install package, made available in a .zip file contains a .txt (maybe more then one) file explaining the latest version and I believe there's a 10 plus page document with the history of the Merlin firmware with all it's improvements, additional functionalities, yada, yada, yada. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a reason for not upgrading? The very worst that could happen (assuming you exercised good judgement) you would, to re-install the original stock version. Sounds like a win, win to me…

A simple reason to use Merlin over stock is the fact, that his firmware is tested a lot in beta before published, Asus often had to pull their firmwares and you are beta-tester! Merlin wont release before its running for most and if a new release from Asus has too many bugs he will wait for next versions and only implement security fixes.