What's new

SATA 300 vs SATA 600

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Oyster

New Around Here
Hi guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I have been researching NAS devices for sometime now, and have finally decided to get the Synology 412+. However, in researching hard drives, I stumbled upon a local store that is selling the old SATA 300 WD Black drives on the cheap (obviously because they're discontinued). I'd probably save almost $300 compared to buying the new WD Black drives that are SATA 600.

I plan on setting up the 4x2TB drives in Raid 0+1. I'm not sure whether I'll experience a slower performance if I go with the older SATA 300 drives vs. newer SATA 600 drives. My understanding is that my home network will be a bottleneck (gigabit LAN), and in referring to the SNB review of the 412+, I see that benchmarks seem to max out around 120-130 Mbps. Can some of you network/NAS pros out there please throw some light on the issue?

Any input is much appreciated. Thanks!

I'm no pro by any stretch, but I very much doubt you would see any difference.

That said, I would guess that most people would recommend drives specifically designed for NAS use, such as WD Reds. 7200rpm drives will run hotter and be noisier.

I'm no pro by any stretch, but I very much doubt you would see any difference.

That said, I would guess that most people would recommend drives specifically designed for NAS use, such as WD Reds. 7200rpm drives will run hotter and be noisier.

Thanks for the tip. The only reason I wanted to go with the Black drives was because of the longer warranty.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!