What's new

SBG6782-AC Moca Setup Newbie

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

realniceguy5000

New Around Here
Hi everyone
I recently bought a SBG6782-AC cable Modem/Wireless Gateway and I would like to try to install Moca in the house. However I am a bit confused as if I need a Moca adapter at my cable modem. My thoughts were I don't as I thought that this modem may have the adapter built in. So if I split the line coming in by 2 one would go to my cable modem and the other to another 4 way splitter which would extend to my garage,bed1 bed2 and master bed at that end I would hook up a 4 port Moca adapter that would give internet to my TV, Blue Ray Player Xbox and Computers in each room. Note I don't have TV Cable as I only ordered Cable Internet.

If this is not correct, then my guess would be I do need some type of adapter at my cable modem then follow the same procedure as described above to each room.

Since I don't have cable TV, I also will be getting Dish Network in the coming days with a couple hoppers and 2 Joeys which also use Moca of some kind, but I am told they are not compatible with regular Cable internet Moca? Anyway I guess I need to keep the two Moca Networks separate from each other in order for everything to work correctly. My plan was just to run new RG6 cable to where all the new dish network devices will be hooked up. But since One of the hoppers will be connected to the Cable Modem Gateway so the hoppers can connect to the internet then all the Devices should see each other, unless I am missing something which is possible.

I really don't have much of a clue what to do, maybe someone could give me some help on working this all out.

Thank You, Mike

The MOCA works on the LAN side so you would not need the 2 way splitter.

You will need to install a splitter with the cable coming into the house connected to the input port and then an output port for each of the rooms where you want to extend your wired network using MOCA. You will need a MOCA adapter at the end of each of these runs which will give you a single Ethernet port. If you need more ports you will need to install a switch and if you need WiFi an AP. Be sure all the splitters used are capable of passing 2 Ghz.

You probably will not be able to run Dish on the same coaxial runs as the frequency they use overlaps with MOCA. If you are willing to experiment you may be able to adjust the frequency used on your MOCA network so it doesn't overlap with the frequency used by Dish.

If you are going to run more cables anyway, why not just run Cat5 cabling for your data network and be done with it. You will have a more reliable network and it probably will cost you a lot less than buying multiple MOCA adapters, switches and APs.

Thanks Captain,
My thinking of running more lines would be by the dish network installer, I have cable (RG6) at each location I want to put those Moca adapters. I thought I saw some where about a 4 port Moca Adapter located at the end runs. Maybe I am confused LOL , it would not be the first time.

I do have a 24 port switch I got from work, maybe you are right about the cat5 thing. I just thought Moca was supposed to be better at running video and streaming? I hate trying to put those ends on the cat5 jacks as 2 out 5 have problems :D

Let me see if I find those adapters I was talking about, Maybe I could get away with one run of RG6 Moca to my inside garage since that run would be the longest. then Hook my switch up out there and run cat5 back to all the locations in the house and out to my detached garage. I don't thing I need a AP wireless for the house as the coverage is very good all over, However I may need one in my other detached garage to boost the signal or maybe another Moca device for the AP?

I will re-think this project, but thanks very much for your help Ill post a link if I find those adapters I was talking about and most likely more questions

Here is the link to the Moca Adapter kit I was talking about.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825390003

Thanks again, Mike

Last edited:
Data is data. Moca 1.1 can support up to 170Mbps. In practice, in part because Moca adapter almost all have 10/100 ports, the best you'll see is in the 70-90Mbps range between quality of cable, number of splitters, terminations, etc.

Just basic cat5 supports 100Mbps speeds...but unless you've messed things up, you'll get roughly that. Also each end point will get that much speed. MoCA is a shared medium, so all devices share the same bandwidth. Also MoCA is half duplex and fast ethernet (max you can get on Cat5) is full duplex, so it is 100Mbps each direction.

Now if you run cat5e/6/6a, you can use gigabit speeds...which are 1000Mbps>>>>than MoCA speeds.

If you are already running cable, run some kind of ethernet cable, preferably cat5e or cat6. It is massively faster than MoCA. Run coax with the ethernet only if you think you'll need/want a TV at the location and have cable TV accessible there also...but run BOTH.

Another thing to recommend Cat5e over coaxial is that Dish Hopper receivers can be connected using Ethernet (no coaxial needed ) and some people have had success using WifI.

Go to the SatelliteGuys forum and search for Hopper installation options and the ins and outs.

Unfortunately many of your run of the mill contract installers will claim they can only be installed using coaxial and insist on doing it that way as they are only paid for successful installations and if their is a network problem they don't have the time or skills to trouble shoot them.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!