What's new

SBS 2003 or WinXP Pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Marshall

Occasional Visitor
I'm setting up a new network for our business, and I know how to network XP but I've never had any experience with networking SBS 2003.
There is only going to be two of us on the network, and we will just be using the server or XP Box for fire sharing. It won't be used for exchange as we use hosted exchange.
Backup will be done by using an external hard drive and online backup.
We will also be using RAID 1 for redundancy.
What is best to use for file sharing XP Pro or SBS 2003?

Thanks
Marshall

Whelp..there's entirely different skillsets in setting up a network behind a server running a full domain (as SBS does)...or doing a simple peer to peer network (as you would with a desktop OS).

I'm a big fan of SBS.....I think it's excellent "bang for the buck" for small businesses.

Advantages of SBS
*E-Mail built in...you can ditch your hosted plan to save some money, move your mail to a smart host to handle DNS and spam/viruses
*Built in remote access to your PCs via RWW
*Built in shared fax
*Built in intranet site with Sharepoint
*Built in backup
*Shared faxing

With SBS comes the added expense...perhaps a network consultant would be needed to come in and do the setup. Server grade antivirus software. Steeper hardware requirements....proper server grade hardware is desired.

With WinXP, you can do simple file storage, you don't need as much horsepower. For the sole purpose of just sharing a bunch of files...to 2-3 people, XP makes sense. Take a desktop PC with a good pair of 10,000rpm Raptor hard drives in RAID 1..and you have a zippy little NAS box. Which moves the choices to a 3rd one..

*If all you're doing is sharing some files...perhaps look at a true NAS box.

Whelp..there's entirely different skillsets in setting up a network behind a server running a full domain (as SBS does)...or doing a simple peer to peer network (as you would with a desktop OS).

I'm a big fan of SBS.....I think it's excellent "bang for the buck" for small businesses.

Advantages of SBS
*E-Mail built in...you can ditch your hosted plan to save some money, move your mail to a smart host to handle DNS and spam/viruses
*Built in remote access to your PCs via RWW
*Built in shared fax
*Built in intranet site with Sharepoint
*Built in backup
*Shared faxing

With SBS comes the added expense...perhaps a network consultant would be needed to come in and do the setup. Server grade antivirus software. Steeper hardware requirements....proper server grade hardware is desired.

With WinXP, you can do simple file storage, you don't need as much horsepower. For the sole purpose of just sharing a bunch of files...to 2-3 people, XP makes sense. Take a desktop PC with a good pair of 10,000rpm Raptor hard drives in RAID 1..and you have a zippy little NAS box. Which moves the choices to a 3rd one..

*If all you're doing is sharing some files...perhaps look at a true NAS box.

Great reply, but I have one comment/question.

Why would a 2 person company want to ditch hosted exchange and manage Exchange on SBS? Cost savings? I'm not so sure. The cost to keep Exchange running, updated with patches, fixing quirks, backing up of data, yearly anti virus renewals, etc... Hosted exchange from a proper provider, such as Intermedia, will offer nearly all the functionality of a locally hosted Exchange without the headache of managing it, buying Exchange antivirus, dealing with spam, etc... Plus Internedia provides Outlook 2007 for each user if you are using an older version of Outlook.

Not trying to be argumentative, I'm just trying to understand why so many people push locally managed Exchange for 2-3 person businesses when I find it hugely cost ineffective in most cases.

Plus Sharepoint is available through hosted providers such as Intermedia.

Lets hear from you...

Oh, and I think the OP could do just find using a NAS or WHS (eek, I said it) if the main goal is to share files.

SBS has great advantages, I'll never argue that. But for 2 users???

Last edited:
Great reply, but I have one comment/question.

Why would a 2 person company want to ditch hosted exchange and manage Exchange on SBS? Cost savings? I'm not so sure. The cost to keep Exchange running, updated with patches, fixing quirks, backing up of data, yearly anti virus renewals, etc... Hosted exchange from a proper provider, such as Intermedia, will offer nearly all the functionality of a locally hosted Exchange without the headache of managing it, buying Exchange antivirus, dealing with spam, etc... Plus Internedia provides Outlook 2007 for each user if you are using an older version of Outlook.

Not trying to be argumentative, I'm just trying to understand why so many people push locally managed Exchange for 2-3 person businesses when I find it hugely cost ineffective in most cases.

Plus Sharepoint is available through hosted providers such as Intermedia.

Lets hear from you...

Oh, and I think the OP could do just find using a NAS or WHS (eek, I said it) if the main goal is to share files.

SBS has great advantages, I'll never argue that. But for 2 users???

Hi claykin,

This us why I am asking the question SBS or WinXP Pro.
We have contacted a couple of IT consultants to look at our server, and it needs patches and updates, new Anti virus which comes to over $800, and then theres the monitoring that they want to provide at $150 a mth.
Hosted Exchange is more of a affordable option than having your own exchange, the hosted exchange provides Outlook or Entourage, and already has all the anti spam and anti spyware software up to date.

I am thinking of just uninstalling MS exchange, and using hosted exchange.
My problem with having a Server is the third party software you have to buy is an expensive. At least with a WinXP, third party software is more affordable.

We have made the move to Mac, and we have two old WinXP PC's we could use has a central file storage, the specs of the old pc's are ASUS PB5 Deluxe Motherboards with Duo core processors, 3 GB or Ram, 3 250GB Drives. We run a Graphic Design business, and these were our old PC's so I thought I would make could use of them.

We also have a Maxtor shared storage II, 500GB drive which we have tried as a central file storage, which worked quite well. I'm now thinking of using this as our backup drive on the network.

I'm just not sure weather, SBS is overkill for two people, and that making good use of our old PC's as central file storage is and easier option to manage an is more affordable.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!