What's new

Seagate NAS 220 assistance needed - not being found on network.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bigapple14

New Around Here
I have a couple of Seagate NAS 220s that I'm trying to get set up. A little back story....I bought one several years ago and it's worked just fine. I just use it for recreational use and mainly for additional file/pics/music back up and storage. We moved about 1.5 years ago and upon getting settled in, all still worked fine. Same modem/router/setup. Then a few months ago I had to replace my modem and router. I switched from an all-in-one unit to separate modem and router and upgraded to the latest DOCSIS version. I never tried my NAS after that, but recently went to use it and the network doesn't show the NAS any longer. I thought maybe my NAS bit the dust, so I started researching the internet for similar issues, etc. That's how I found this page!

My NAS turns on. The lights on the front show power and the HD indicator lights up blue. The ethernet indicators on the back flicker green and yellow. I used the Seagate BlackArmor Discovery software but it didn't find the NAS. I tried changing the ethernet cable (about 6 different ones now) and it remains unchanged. I've scoured the internet trying to find an exact match to my issue and possible solution, but haven't found one. I've found several close ones, but most say they are getting the amber light of death on the front of the NAS.

I decided I'd shop around and see if I could find another NAS 200 and maybe just swap the drives around and possibly access them that way, so I bought a used one identical to mine. When I connect it and power it on, it does the exact same thing as my original one. It lights up the same, but still not found. This almost leads me to believe it's possibly my computer settings or something preventing its recognition.

I have some questions that I'm hoping I can get some help with. I'm very much a novice, so less-technical answers are greatly appreciated! LOL

1. Are there any diagnostics or settings I can check in regards to my laptop networking and/or firewall to see if it's being blocked somewhere?

2. Would doing a hard reset of my router (30/30/30) be a good idea to see if something got changed that is preventing the connection?

3. Is there an easy way to test the drives to see if they are ok?

4. Is there a way to access the drives with direct cable connection (ie: ethernet cable, USB, etc.)? I've tried connecting it via the ethernet cable, but it's not finding it there either.

If anyone has any good advice on how to make these visible at all, I'd greatly appreciate any and all help. It's been frustrating, to say the least! Thanks in advance!!!

first issue coming to mind is the old router used 192.168.1.x and the new one is using 192.168.2.x or something along those lines and you just need to change the IP on the NAS and everything will be back to normal.

Two approaches. Default the NAS w/o the drives installed and setup the networking again.
or
Change the IP on the router to reconnect to the NAS over the network.

If this is the case depending on the router you should be able to figure out the IP on the NAS looking at the ARP table.

Hey Tech Junky,

Thank you very much for your reply! I have a couple of questions for you regarding your response. Would you happen to have instructions on how to do the suggested items you mentioned? I tried to do the default process, but pulling the drives and restarting it doesn't do anything. I still cannot access it and am not sure how to set up the network again. I browsed the manual and don't see anything pertaining to it.

Or, can you tell me how to change the IP on the router to reconnect to it?

As I previously mentioned, I'm very much a novice when it comes to this stuff. I'm ok with the basic stuff, but getting deeper into the settings is unchartered territory for me! LOL

Thanks again for all of your help!

Do an "arp -a" from a command window to list your network addresses / MAC's and this will get you the IP of the NAS.

Code:
C:\WINDOWS\system32>arp -a

Interface: 192.168.0.150 --- 0x8
  Internet Address      Physical Address      Type
  192.168.0.1           5a-ea-69-a9-d9-fb     dynamic
  192.168.0.2           5a-ea-69-a9-d9-fb     dynamic
  192.168.0.50          5a-ea-69-a9-d9-fb     dynamic
  192.168.0.65          bc-cf-4f-d7-5f-20     dynamic
  192.168.0.100         00-22-6c-04-11-61     dynamic
  192.168.0.101         00-bb-c1-9a-fe-2c     dynamic
  192.168.0.107         14-c1-4e-d7-e0-a3     dynamic
  192.168.0.113         00-18-dd-0a-24-7a     dynamic
  192.168.0.255         ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff     static
  224.0.0.22            01-00-5e-00-00-16     static
  224.0.0.251           01-00-5e-00-00-fb     static
  229.255.255.250       01-00-5e-7f-ff-fa     static
  239.255.255.250       01-00-5e-7f-ff-fa     static

From the list you should see anything on the local network in this list. If it's configured for something other than the same 192.168.0.x it might not appear here and more potential changes may be needed to find it.

Here is what I've got. Does it help at all?

C:\Windows\System32>arp -a

Interface: 192.168.1.132 --- 0xd
Internet Address Physical Address Type
192.168.1.1 e8-9f-80-16-1a-60 dynamic
192.168.1.101 38-63-bb-c5-da-1e dynamic
192.168.1.103 b0-a7-37-ef-dc-3d dynamic
192.168.1.255 ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff static
224.0.0.2 01-00-5e-00-00-02 static
224.0.0.22 01-00-5e-00-00-16 static
224.0.0.251 01-00-5e-00-00-fb static
224.0.0.252 01-00-5e-00-00-fc static
239.255.255.250 01-00-5e-7f-ff-fa static
255.255.255.255 ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff static

C:\Windows\System32>

Now look at the bottom or back of the NAS for the MAC and it should match one of those.

192.168.1.101 38-63-bb-c5-da-1e dynamic
192.168.1.103 b0-a7-37-ef-dc-3d dynamic

One of these is your PC and the other is probably the NAS.

The label on the back of my NAS shows the MAC address. It's a 12-character number with 11 numbers followed by the letter A. It doesn't really match the number.

Is there a way to log into the router and add the MAC address directly to it so that it will recognize it?

Thanks again for the help!

If the router isn't packing up the MAC from the NAS then there's either a stuck configuration on the NAS or it could be a cable issue not connecting 100%.

Adding the MAC manually won't help if there's no connection or the NAS is on a different subnet.

You mentioned earlier that I could try to reset the NAS by pulling the drives. Do you know the full instructions on trying that route?

Another question. Can a person plug the ethernet cable direct into my laptop to be able to access the NAS drive from my laptop? Or doesn't that work that way?

Thanks again!

Another question. Can a person plug the ethernet cable direct into my laptop to be able to access the NAS drive from my laptop? Or doesn't that work that way?
Yes that can work (crossover cable between laptop and NAS) if you manually assign the laptop IP settings in a range you think it could be (and do that a few times for other ranges it might have been in), for this to work you need to really think hard what the subnet was you came from.

when the cable connecting the NAS to the LAN, what are the lights at either end doing ?

if there are no lights, replace the cable as a start.

Hola, tengo el mismo problema, nas no me da ip y he probado de todo, alguien me puede ayudar?

Seguí todos los pasos pero no hay manera de que mi nas me dé una ip.

Hola, tengo el mismo problema, nas no me da ip y he probado de todo, alguien me puede ayudar?

Seguí todos los pasos pero no hay manera de que mi nas me dé una ip.
From translate.google

"
Hello, I have the same problem, nas does not give me an ip and I have tried everything, can someone help me? I followed all the steps but there is no way for my nas to give me an ip.
"

I have a couple of Seagate NAS 220s that I'm trying to get set up. A little back story....I bought one several years ago and it's worked just fine. I just use it for recreational use and mainly for additional file/pics/music back up and storage. We moved about 1.5 years ago and upon getting settled in, all still worked fine. Same modem/router/setup. Then a few months ago I had to replace my modem and router. I switched from an all-in-one unit to separate modem and router and upgraded to the latest DOCSIS version. I never tried my NAS after that, but recently went to use it and the network doesn't show the NAS any longer. I thought maybe my NAS bit the dust, so I started researching the internet for similar issues, etc. That's how I found this page!

My NAS turns on. The lights on the front show power and the HD indicator lights up blue. The ethernet indicators on the back flicker green and yellow. I used the Seagate BlackArmor Discovery software but it didn't find the NAS. I tried changing the ethernet cable (about 6 different ones now) and it remains unchanged. I've scoured the internet trying to find an exact match to my issue and possible solution, but haven't found one. I've found several close ones, but most say they are getting the amber light of death on the front of the NAS.

I decided I'd shop around and see if I could find another NAS 200 and maybe just swap the drives around and possibly access them that way, so I bought a used one identical to mine. When I connect it and power it on, it does the exact same thing as my original one. It lights up the same, but still not found. This almost leads me to believe it's possibly my computer settings or something preventing its recognition.

I have some questions that I'm hoping I can get some help with. I'm very much a novice, so less-technical answers are greatly appreciated! LOL

1. Are there any diagnostics or settings I can check in regards to my laptop networking and/or firewall to see if it's being blocked somewhere?

2. Would doing a hard reset of my router (30/30/30) be a good idea to see if something got changed that is preventing the connection?

3. Is there an easy way to test the drives to see if they are ok?

4. Is there a way to access the drives with direct cable connection (ie: ethernet cable, USB, etc.)? I've tried connecting it via the ethernet cable, but it's not finding it there either.

If anyone has any good advice on how to make these visible at all, I'd greatly appreciate any and all help. It's been frustrating, to say the least! Thanks in advance!!!
your power cord is faulty . replace it and your NAS 220 will likely work again or use the cord that came with the NEW one .. hahaha thats why they both do the same thing . as you are plugging the new unit up with the old power cord and the eth cable .. The cord is faulty not supplying ENOUGH to fully power the unit .