What's new

Second device not working on home MoCA network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Is there another kind of device I can put between the modem and the first Actiontec to replace the functionality I was getting from the router part of the modem/router combo I was using before?

For example I have on hand an ASUS RT-AC68U Router
There ya go. You could simply insert the RT-AC68U router, configured in "router" mode, between the modem and MoCA adapter, as >previously diagrammed< (with the RT-AC68U in place of "Router #1" in the diagram), to replicate the lost functionality.

Also...
  • you would want to configure the TP-Link AC4000 in "AP" mode, and
  • the MoCA nodes should all be connected via the P1-P4 outputs of the PPC-9M-U/U amp if it is kept in place.
  • The wireless antenna in the RT-AC68U can be disabled or left active, it's up to you, but I'd recommend disabling it short-term, to avoid any conflicts/competition.

wiring_diagram - mod.png

edit: p.s. And, yeah, cap any unused coax ports w/ 75-ohm terminators when you can.

Last edited:
Also, you would want to configure the TP-Link AC4000 in "AP" mode
See section 4.3 of the AC4000 User Guide for instructions on configuring it for "Access Point" mode.

edit: p.s. The one thing I didn't see on a quick scan was whether you could still connect the AC4000 via its "WAN" port when you're configuring it for "AP" mode. I'd recommend starting with it connected via the WAN port, and seeing if it works after the mode switch.

That router would be just fine for testing. Then you could replace if not enough throughput.

There ya go. You could simply insert the RT-AC68U router, configured in "router" mode, between the modem and MoCA adapter, as >previously diagrammed< (with the RT-AC68U in place of "Router #1" in the diagram), to replicate the lost functionality.
@krkaufman just to clarify what I should do in the RT-AC68U config, the user manual is here. In section 4.1.3 it offers modes AP only, WDS only, or Hybrid. Is one of these what you have in mind by "router" mode?

(Alternatively in section 4.2.3 it allows me to "enable static routes." This seems to require me to specify some information about the TPLink. Not sure if this is the right approach instead?)

Thanks as always.

i have never used an asus model, but below is what you should generally do. You may get better advice in the ASUS wireless subforums.

You may want to clear all the existing settings by doing a factory reset. The defaults likely are what you need anyway. Make sure you are on the latest firmware. if not follow the instructions in the manual to update. Then you can either run the quick setup (section 2.2 i think) or go to Section 4.7.1 shows the device modes - you want wireless router and then go in a turn off the wireless radios if you don't need them as they likely will cause additional interference with your TPLink. If it does not have enough coverage you might turn on the 5 GHz radio only.

@krkaufman just to clarify what I should do in the RT-AC68U config, the user manual is here. In section 4.1.3 it offers modes AP only, WDS only, or Hybrid. Is one of these what you have in mind by "router" mode?

(Alternatively in section 4.2.3 it allows me to "enable static routes." This seems to require me to specify some information about the TPLink. Not sure if this is the right approach instead?)
Sorry for the confusion. The answer is "none of the above." By "router mode," I just meant its normal, default setup ... as a router; though you could optionally disable the wireless functionality to avoid conflict with your TP-Link "wireless access point" device.

You may want to clear all the existing settings by doing a factory reset. The defaults likely are what you need anyway. Make sure you are on the latest firmware. if not follow the instructions in the manual to update. Then you can either run the quick setup (section 2.2 i think) or go to Section 4.7.1 shows the device modes - you want wireless router and then go in a turn off the wireless radios if you don't need them as they likely will cause additional interference with your TPLink. If it does not have enough coverage you might turn on the 5 GHz radio only.
Exactly ^this^, all of it ... including (and perhaps especially) the "reset to factory defaults and upgrade to latest firmware."

Thanks @krkaufman @degrub.

Short story: I gave this a try and it worked!

Longer story:
  • I reset the ASUS back to factory and upgraded firmware. I turned off the WiFi radios just because.
  • For now I haven't set the TPLink to Access Point mode because everything seems (?) to be ok as is. Will plan to try that if I encounter issues after more use.
  • I tried a speed test and speeds on the "other device" are looking fine.
  • I was even able to get another device added by replicating the "other device" configuration.
  • Updated wiring diagram is below FYI.
  • Still waiting on coax caps to arrive but will add them when they do.
Thanks so much for all your help along the way here! I think there's basically no chance I would have figured this out on my own.

@krkaufman @degrub @eibgrad

wiring_diagram.PNG

Good to hear. Thanks for the detailed followup.

Closing thoughts...
  • Re:
    For now I haven't set the TPLink to Access Point mode because everything seems (?) to be ok as is. Will plan to try that if I encounter issues after more use.
    You really should; otherwise, you have 2 networks, separated by the firewall in the TP-Link. (Here's >one thread< discussing the issues.)

• The diagram might benefit by tweaking the representation of the amplifier, to more clearly indicate that all the MoCA connections are via the P1-P4 outputs, rather than feeding the main MoCA adapter into its input. (Or swap the amp for a MoCA-compatible splitter.) And don't forget to add the add'l MoCA nodes as you grow...!

• As someone else pointed out, be sure to measure your download/upload speeds hard-wired via Ethernet to the ASUS AC-RT68U, to determine if it's capable of supporting your provisioned speeds -- and as a baseline against which to compare your MoCA throughput. (MoCA-connected devices couldn't be any faster than what's measured via direct-connect to the main router.)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!