What's new

Secure, reliable, wireless router for CenturyLink fiber home network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

You guys are forgetting about google fiber. Its router is a dual core MIPS with hardware acceleration capable of supporting the config that google uses. Essentially ISP hardware provides most of the performance of gigabit internet speeds. It doesnt matter how optimised the code is, whats important is that the hardware is also capable.

The Google ONT/RG's are pretty smart - perhaps a bit too smart, as all subscribers are part of a big data experiment - there's an incredible amount of stuff inside them, think NVF/SDN stuff - so they can update and manage them on the fly with various services, etc... was fun looking into them on a recent visit to the SLC area where Google Fiber is present (and the home where I was staying had google fiber).

There is a reason why I do not have OnHub's, Chromebook's, or Android's on my primary LAN...

@sfx2000 ive never had any issues with google, just the occasional google search blacklisted for a hack or probe attempt by someone using it. Facebook ends on my blacklist after it tries to probe/hack my router.

Within 1 day of catching IPs on the input chain i end up with more than 4000 IP addresses blacklisted which i also drop on forward.

I'm in SLC actually, and Google Fiber is probably the only reason CenturyLink and Comcast have started stepping up their game. Google isn't available at my house (yet), but I'm just glad I have an excuse to finally ditch Comcast.

The Google ONT/RG's are pretty smart - perhaps a bit too smart, as all subscribers are part of a big data experiment - there's an incredible amount of stuff inside them, think NVF/SDN stuff - so they can update and manage them on the fly with various services, etc... was fun looking into them on a recent visit to the SLC area where Google Fiber is present (and the home where I was staying had google fiber).

There is a reason why I do not have OnHub's, Chromebook's, or Android's on my primary LAN...

Google is something I avoid too. Don't care to use it for searches. But anything 'service' (i.e. 'cloud') related from them is to be used with extreme skepticism an caution.

I'm in SLC actually, and Google Fiber is probably the only reason CenturyLink and Comcast have started stepping up their game. Google isn't available at my house (yet), but I'm just glad I have an excuse to finally ditch Comcast.

I've got friends/family/co-workers that are located in markets where Google Fiber has deployed, and yes, it has motivated the incumbent players in Telco/Cable to step up their offerings - which is what Google's intent really is..