What's new

Security Requirements for Residential Gateways

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

a bar that the consumer routers here in the US don't even reach lol. That's great hopefully other countries follow.

I always appreciate a free and democratic country in Asia taking a stand...

(trying not to be political here - not many in Asia are free and democratic, just saying...)

Personally, a lot of the security needs to come from an opt in/out from the ISP--if I don't want any traffic that originates outside the US, then my ISP should be able to offer that to me. You can do it with phone lines, you can secure your front door from unsolicited visitors, and Internet packets should be no different. I think eventually this will come to pass, but it will be at the tail end of my life unfortunately.

Personally, a lot of the security needs to come from an opt in/out from the ISP--if I don't want any traffic that originates outside the US, then my ISP should be able to offer that to me. You can do it with phone lines, you can secure your front door from unsolicited visitors, and Internet packets should be no different. I think eventually this will come to pass, but it will be at the tail end of my life unfortunately.

They don't because more then likely you become the traffic the originates outside the usa. You hop right across the pond and back especially if using fiber. IMO, this is due to the reasons Edward Snowden stated. I once complained about this to verizon. Found out when I was getting poor ping to a video game I was playing. started posting traceroutes online, posting the servers, calling and spamming their forums. There was one server they claimed wasn't theirs that was the bad hop but I provided the sale records showing when verizon bought it, it was one hop outside their claimed support service. a business server but I was residential customer lol. I told them that failure to communicate is why 9/11 happened.

Its also why the government wants to outlaw whois records and public domain registrars. They will start out as subscription based only for those who get "permission" to read them. LIke private investigators or the authorities. And eventually be gov't only. I started getting calls from people claiming to be level 3 verizon techs at my house, I kid you not. The ones Who I figured actually were, were the guys who sounded like they never talk to people haha trying to tell me that most likely the whois records are probably wrong and they are actually US servers.

When you use VPNs that happens alot too, if you start out using a US gateway, hop across the pond and back and every now and then you might get webpages in different languages for example even when not selecting a foreign ip.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!