What's new

Selective tunneling for torrents on a specific connected device (IP)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

canknucklehead

New Around Here
Background:

I have a cable modem service that is then connected to a Asus RT-AC68U router running Asus-Merlin 380.66_4 firmware, which distribute internet services to the devices in my home. These devices range from Macs, iPhones, Apple TV, PS3/4, and XBOX One. Without engaging NordVPN via the OpenVPN client, I get around 350Mbps on my main Mac. If I engage the OpenVPN, it drops to 15-20.

The reason I chose the Asus is so I can direct VPN traffic at a router/network level as some of my devices cannot run a client, such as the Apple TV and game consoles. It Is great that I can use the policy based routing so only those devices use the VPN tunnel. But I am wondering if I can go one step further in directing traffic....

Would I be able to direct traffic from specific programs, such as Transmissions or other torrents related program to utilize the OpenVPN tunnel, and so let other programs on the same local machine (IP) bypass the OpenVPN tunnel?

Thank you all very much in advance for your advices!