What's new

Separating Modem & Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bigfatal

New Around Here
I have a 200Mb fibre connection (Virgin - UK). This runs to the Virgin hub which is configured in modem only mode
I then output from this into a wall socket, along a ~10m cat6, out of another wall socket and into my ASUS RT_AC86U which I use as my router and primary wifi source
I then cable out of this into a nearby TV etc but primarily back along the same router to the modem and into an unmanaged switch. The switch then takes the signal around the house (mostly via Cat6 through the walls but also into a Devolo Homeplug

The rationale behind this over-complication is that the modem is on the edge of the house so moving the router into the lounge which is much more central gives better coverage. (whilst keeping the majority of the cables / kit etc away from areas of the house that are more likely to cause me grief from an unhappy wife who doesnt like mess in the lounge!

However, it obviously makes things complicated. The alternative would be to stick the router next to the modem and avoid all that cabling between them.

So this is a long-winded ay of asking: does it matter if I keep the modem and router apart like this? Is this likely to affect my speeds?

So this is a long-winded ay of asking: does it matter if I keep the modem and router apart like this? Is this likely to affect my speeds?
No it doesn't matter or effect your speeds (other than your uplink from the switch restricting the bandwidth there to 1Gb - which would be the case wherever you put the switch). I had almost exactly the same setup for the same reasons (I'm also with Virgin Media).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!