What's new

Server PXE for raspberry pi 3

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DAVIZINHO

Regular Contributor
Hello,
In first place, sorry for my poor english, i will try to explain better i can.

I have a raspberry pi 3 and im trying to configure the network boot option (without a sd card).
I can make it if i configure the dhcp, pxe and tft in a synology nas, but this is not the ideal case because i must have 2 dhcp in the same network

I read some info and i find a tutorial that say i can configure the dhcp and PXE in the merlin and then the tftp in the synology. This will be the perfect configuration for me.
In this tutorial y must create this file /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add with this content
dhcp-boot=pxelinux.0,,10.0.0.x

10.0.0.x is the ip of the tftp server

This tutorial works but not with the raspberry because the raspberry need that i be able to set the Vendor-Option Option 43 in my DHCP server or the PI will never initiate the boot

I other tutorial, for raspberry they say that in the PXE server, in /opt/etc/dhcpd.conf (for isc-dhcp), i must add the following paragraph

host pi {
hardware ethernet b8:27:eb:1e:57:f7;
next-server 192.168.0.6;
filename "";
# Very important (Vendor-Option Option 43)
option vendor-encapsulated-options "Raspberry Pi Boot ";
}

But this not work and im lost with this

Someone try to configure the PXE in the merlin firmware???
Any idea or any suggestion?

Pi3 is a bit spooky with net booting...

That being said, Pi3 B+ is a lot more sorted there.

Your best answer is first reaching out the the Pi folks to get what is needed to make things work (yes, you have not done that yet perhaps)

I make it. i read a lot of info and i dont find info of how to configure de asus merlin to make this.
I think the problem is configure the PXE with vendor-option 43 but i dont know how :-(