What's new

Server VPN speed 10kB/sec RT-AX92U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

freezerain

New Around Here
Hello.
I am trying to get home VPN server to work. My ISP speed is 300/100 Mb, but vpn clients have 10-30 kb at max.
My router is RT-ax92u and if I understand right, the chip on board is Broadcom BCM4906 with hardware crypt acceleration support, CPU load is always at 1%, so I was hoping to get 50-100 Mb, it should be sligthly better than older routers without hardware acceleration
Merlin is not supporting this router, so I am limited to stock asuswrt frimeware.
I am measuring speed by transfering file from-to shared folder on laptop in local network and SSD connected to router in both FTP and samba protocols. 2 tested clients was remote PC and android phone LTE/4G.
I have tried all 3 types of VPN, and played around with all available settings with no luck.
If anybody can point me what can I miss I will be grateful, this is my first VPN experience.

I am measuring speed by transfering file from-to shared folder on laptop in local network and SSD connected to router in both FTP and samba protocols. 2 tested clients was remote PC and android phone LTE/4G.
I have tried all 3 types of VPN, and played around with all available settings with no luck..
Did you try without VPN? For example, running iperf server on your laptop and launching an iperf client on your Android phone, to measure the connection speed between your phone and your laptop.

Did you try without VPN? For example, running iperf server on your laptop and launching an iperf client on your Android phone, to measure the connection speed between your phone and your laptop.
Hey, thank you for reply. Never used ipref before, server on laptop and client on android, speed is not consistent but between 5-20mbits. I am attaching screenshot of result, dont know If you can tell something from them. This is old onePlus X with 2.4hz wi fi, I will get another device on monday and will repeat test. But I think speed is ok and VPN should be way faster.

Also I am trying to increase speed on OpenVPN with different custom commands, no luck for now, but I tried this for both client and server:

sndbuf / rcvbuf - 0 / 393216
different ports (except TCP-443 asus not alowing saying it reserved for cloud disk)
tun-mtu 1400 / 1500 / 9000
different ciphers and without one
TCP / UDP and TAP / TUN
mssfix 1430
compression disabled / enabled
fragment 0
FastIO

speed never exceed 700kB/sec on wired cliend PC and 200kB/sec on 4g android
Attachments 1 and 2 are without VPN. Attachment 3 and 4 is vpn over 4G.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200816-170904_Network_Tools.png
    Screenshot_20200816-170904_Network_Tools.png
    129.7 KB · Views: 225
  • Screenshot_20200816-170926_Network_Tools.png
    Screenshot_20200816-170926_Network_Tools.png
    129.3 KB · Views: 203
  • Screenshot_20200816-174656_Network_Tools.png
    Screenshot_20200816-174656_Network_Tools.png
    126.1 KB · Views: 199
  • 1597593173828.png
    1597593173828.png
    226.1 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
I am third day in experimenting with OpenVPN settings. I was able to get 10-20Mbits (same as without VPN) for android device with "mssfix 0" parameter.
According to this old russian post HabrHabr "mssfix 0" disabling TCP MSS changing, I have no idea what all of this means, and why I cant make it work without this parameter. But atleats VPN is now in "usable" state. I will test other devices, will try to improve speed and find the root of the problem

Sorry but....
Vpn hardware acceleration works on Asus routers ONLY on Asus Merlin software;) https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/
I don't know if there is Merlin software for this model ...
https://sourceforge.net/projects/asuswrt-merlin/files/
Some time ago I had an Asus 86u - on Merlin it was 80-120 Mbps, i.e. dividing it into 8 it came out while downloading 10-15 MB / s. I do not know the other model of the ASUS router.

PS - "... I was able to get 10-20Mbits " ---->That's exactly what I achieved on the Asus 86 without Merlin software.

Now I changed Asus to Drytek Vigor 2927 -same price level but you have full vpn acceleration (no need to install software from other companies like in ASUS to enable vpn acceleration)

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!