What's new

Set a Default Gateway different to the Router on GT-AX11000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BertosFoolhard

New Around Here
Hi,

First time here and hopefully i do a good job of explaining myself,

I have 2 internet connections, my Asus Router handles DHCP, DHCP is disabled on the other router.
Asus Router = 192.168.0.1
Other Router = 192.168.0.2

I have clients on the network that i want to force via DHCP to use 192.168.0.2 as the Default Gateway so that their traffic goes out of the second internet connection.

While you can set Static IP and DNS in the GUI, you can't seem to set Default Gateway so i am guessing this has to be done through SSH, which i am about as good at as a chocolate fire guard is useful.

I am guessing there is some sort of command along the lines of "Set the DHCP Option MAC Address - IP192.168.0.150, Subnet255.255.255.0 Gateway192.168.0.2 DNSPri8.8.8.8 DNSSec8.8.4.4"

Anybody know wehat that command may be?

Thank you very much.

That's not possible with stock Asus firmware, which I'm assuming you're using. You could do it with a custom config file using Merlin's firmware but at the moment there's only a beta firmware available for the GT-AX11000.

In general Routing should be able to handle this but I don't know ASUS.

Using layer 2, default gateway, for routing is going to cause you issues down the road when you are trying make layer 3 decisions as well. Thats what I think.

I too wondered about making a static route, but not sure exactly how to do it on Asus either. They seem to do some truly magical stuff (like their QOS is out of this world) but then really poop the bed on stuff like this.

Do you know what the command/config file would be then?
I don't know the exact details because I don't use that version of the firmware. The basic principle would be to create a DHCP reservation for each of the devices you want to use the second gateway in the GUI as normal. Then probably all you would need to do would be to create a dnsmasq.conf.add file that contained the appropriate dhcp-option statements.

I don't know the exact details because I don't use that version of the firmware. The basic principle would be to create a DHCP reservation for each of the devices you want to use the second gateway in the GUI as normal. Then probably all you would need to do would be to create a dnsmasq.conf.add file that contained the appropriate dhcp-option statements.

You are going to need to use static IP assignments as DHCP is not going to work with multiple default gateways. DHCP has no way to decide which default gateway to use.

You are going to need to use static IP assignments as DHCP is not going to work with multiple default gateways. DHCP has no way to decide which default gateway to use.
The DHCP server (dnsmasq) can be configured to tell different clients to use different gateways (and other DHCP options) based on the client's MAC address. This is not a problem. I used to run this sort of dual-gateway setup myself in the past. It works fine. I can set it up on my router quite easily, but I can't tell the OP exactly how to do it on his router because his firmware is slightly different than mine.

EDIT: Just checked it on my router and it works fine.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!