What's new

Set up NUT Client on AC87u with 384.13_10

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HeeroYuy

Occasional Visitor
Hi everyone. Is it possible to set up a NUT client on a AC87u with 384.13_10?
My UPS is connected to a mini PC with Proxmox. NUT is running and my NAS is connected to the UPS powerline and gets the data as NUT slave from Proxmox.
Between the PC and the NAS is my AC87u router (also connected to the UPS powerline). But instead of shutting down after X minutes, the router will run until the battery is depleted.

I've run NUT on my AC86U, then an AX88U now for the last three or four years. I use it to send me emails/SMS Texts when the power is out, log power events, and shut down my Linux servers and put the router in a safe state when the UPS is about to crock (i.e. sync;sync;halt). I also use the NUT server to monitor things with WinNUT on my Windows PC. Entware does have a terminal client, but other folks have found it buggy.

Check to see if NUT is available for the 87U (opkg list | grep NUT) and see if is available for your router.

To get NUT to work on the router, there is a few kernel modules you have to load. At least on the AC86U and AX88U, the modules are prebuilt as part of Merlin's software, you just need to load them. Also, since the upstream NUT was written for OpenWRT, some NUT services want to start as user "root", so some modifications are required to start the modules as the router's root user (i.e. admin). I ended up building my own script to load the kernel modules and start the various programs and wrote my own custom init.d script to start NUT when the entware starts.

I am open to sharing my start up script. As you already have NUT running elsewhere, I take it you got the configuration of NUT down pat already.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!