What's new

Setting a specific QoS priority for new devices?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rkalinka

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I have Adaptive QoS running on my RT-AC88U. I have also assigned priority levels (Highest/High/Med/Low) for all devices on my network . When a new device comes on to my network, it get's a "default" value showing on QoS. As I understand it, the value of "Default" actually bypasses QoS settings and therefore competes with the rest of the QoS scheduling (as does the Linux OS fair share scheduler).

Is there a way to automatically assign ALL new devices to so "Medium" QoS when they join the network? OR - can someone confirm if "Default" actually performs less than Medium?

Trying to keep a few devices as Highest Priority while all devices are on the same network (new and old).

Thanks in advance.

I’ve never seen any evidence that those priorities work at all with Adaptive QoS; only Traditional QoS seems to make use of them.

@dave14305 - I can only tell you that when I "don't" have priority assigned, the iPhones on my network have frequent audio issues when placing calls over Wifi. These issues go away once I set priorities (to those devices) through the QoS settings. To your point, it's unclear (to me as well) why configuring priorities in conjunction with Adaptive QoS would matter. Hence the reason for my question.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!