What's new

setting up new network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

smiley35

New Around Here
I am new at this but not a complete novice at computers so please by kind. I want to set up a wireless network in my home to include two laptops a cell phone(maybe) and a kindle fire. I have two desktop PCs also. From what I understand the wireless router will connect to my cabled modem from there I will configure the devices I want to access wirelessly. I have a wired router now that allows both the desktop PCs to access the internet. Is there any way to keep that as is, to work the wireless around the wired to have my two desktop PCs still safely wired while my laptops, cellphone and kindle connect wirelessly? I hope that made sense.
Thanks to any and all help in advance.

You can either keep your current wired router and put your wireless router in bridge mode (routing off) or replace your wired router with a wireless router that has enough wired ports for you needs and connect your PCs to that.

Hello dear i just want to say you that you should setup your new network from the operator who is providing you this facility because he know very well to operat this and make the good and best network connection don't try it by your self...

Hair Removal

Last edited:
Is there any way to keep that as is, to work the wireless around the wired to have my two desktop PCs still safely wired while my laptops, cellphone and kindle connect wirelessly? I hope that made sense.
Thanks to any and all help in advance.
Yes. Most any common WiFi router will have 4 Ethernet ports (RJ45/cat5 cable connections). You connect PCs and other devices to these ports. You can get even more ports by adding an inexpensive Ethernet Switch, located somewhere away from the router, if need be, according to where the connections need to be.

Meanwhile, WiFi access to the router exists.

Be sure to setup your WiFi to have a unique SSID and enable/use encryption. Don't use the factory defaults.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!