What's new

Setup help - ZenWiFi Pro XT12 meshed with a AX88U.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kerry

New Around Here
I have a ZenWiFi Pro XT12 that I am going to use to replace my AX88U.
I was previously using a powerline adapter with the AX88U to get an additional 2.4g signal into a dead spot.

I am thinking of using my AX88U as a mesh extension node in this new set up and ditching the powerline.
Ideally, I would like to use the dedicated 3rd wireless 5g band of the ZenWiFi Pro XT12 as the backhaul.
I am guessing that this will yield much better results than my previous powerline setup.

Would this just disable the 5g band on the AX88U leaving the 2.4g usable?
Would both bands still being accessible through the ZenWiFi Pro XT12?
Any help or advice would be appreciated.

K

Using WIFI backhaul would not disable any WIFI. However, the 5 GHz broadcast of the AX88U node would be half speed of the connection to the ZT12. That is because the WIFI on the AX88U would spend half of its time talking to the ZT12 and the other half talking to clients. Still, the WIFI range would be boosted.

As for the powerline adaptor, you may want to try to use that as the backhaul, Ethernet backhaul, between the XT12 and AX88U. That would allow the AX88U to use the full WIFI bandwidth.

Using WIFI backhaul would not disable any WIFI. However, the 5 GHz broadcast of the AX88U node would be half speed of the connection to the ZT12. That is because the WIFI on the AX88U would spend half of its time talking to the ZT12 and the other half talking to clients. Still, the WIFI range would be boosted.

Thanks for the clarification.
I intend to make the 5g broadcast on the AX88U hidden, so that it becomes exclusive to the backhaul.
This will leave:

1 x 2.4g from the XT12
1 x 5g from the XT12
1 x 2.4g from the AX88U

The 2 direct signals from the XT12 should be sufficient for the majority of the home, its just the back bedroom that suffers. An extended 2.4g mesh connection for there will be all I need.

My powerline was a last resort in times past and has served its purpose.

Kind Regards

K

Last edited:
Well, I went with a wired system in the end.

However, the FIRESTICK would not see or connect to the AiMesh node.
At the moment I have reverted to using the AX88U as a AP and all is working fine FIRESTICK n all.

Strange about the FIRESTICK though...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!