What's new

sftp access

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

scottegos2

Occasional Visitor
I can ssh into the router, but can't get sftp to work. Is that something I'm (not) doing or is this just not possible? For security reasons, I really don't like to use ftp.

Currently using .254b build on my ac66u.

sftp isn't included in the firmware. You have to install it from Optware/Entware.

ok, thanks, merlin. other folks: thanks for helping; what I needed was how to set up the server on the router.... Anyway, I have winscp, too, so I could just forward the port, but I was trying for something a little more elegant.

Using Winscp with scp protocol working like a charm without any modification (only activate ssh)

Can you explain more?

If you start at:
http://192.168.1.1/Advanced_System_Content.asp
The option:
Enable SSH

That will enable the SSH for the FTP?
There are two different protocols for transferring files using ssh. They are scp and sftp (which has no relation to plain ftp). When you enable ssh file transfer via scp is enabled but sftp is not. sftp has advantages over scp. It allows you to interrupt and resume file transfers and it allows for file and directory manipulation: deleting, creating, moving, etc.

To enable sftp support you must install the openssh-sftp-server package from either optware or entware. If you are running version 3.0.0.4.354.28 Beta 1 or later than that is all you need to do. If you are running a prior version than you need to add the following two lines to one of your startup scripts:

mkdir /usr/libexec
ln -sf /opt/libexec/sftp-server /usr/libexec/sftp-server

dodava, /usr/* is a read-only filesystem.
Yeah, sorry about that. Brain fart on my part. I have been playing around and run a custom build where things are mounted from the usb drive. I forgot that /usr is not read-write for anyone else.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!