What's new

Shielded Cat6 vs Cat6A

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tommusrol

New Around Here
I’m looking to install some shielded cabling and had a couple of questions (Doing 5 or 6 runs probably no longer than 35m)

I was going to use shielded Cat6 as that would suffice, but then thought if I’m going through the hassle of using shielded Cat6, shall I just use Cat6A anyway to help future proof things? How much easier is shielded cat 6 to terminate and deal with in general compared to Cat6A?

Also is Cat6A U/FTP still shielded?

Anyhelp would be much appreciate. Thanks

I’m looking to install some shielded cabling and had a couple of questions (Doing 5 or 6 runs probably no longer than 35m)

I was going to use shielded Cat6 as that would suffice, but then thought if I’m going through the hassle of using shielded Cat6, shall I just use Cat6A anyway to help future proof things? How much easier is shielded cat 6 to terminate and deal with in general compared to Cat6A?

Also is Cat6A U/FTP still shielded?

Anyhelp would be much appreciate. Thanks

Type: If it's under 35m Cat.6 is enough unless there is noise with many cables or something.
Cat.6 is a lot easier than Cat.6a
Cat.6a U/FTP: only pair shielded

make sure you use high quality terminations. Incorrect termination of the shield can make any noise issues worse.