Should ethernet ports on xt8 work on node in AP mode with wireless backhaul?

Berg

New Around Here
Hi

Should Ethernet ports on xt8 work on node in AP mode with wireless backhaul? I bought a separate firewall to run opnsense on and configured the three xt8 that I have in access point mode. The xt8 connected to the opnsense firewall with Ethernet cable had a Synology NAS connected and that worked. I tried this about a month ago but could not connect with a pc to one of the xt88 nodes that uses wireless backhaul with ethernet cable. Wireless components could connect without problems.
Has anyone tried this?

tgl

Occasional Visitor
Works for me ... I've got two XT8s wirelessly connecting LANs in different parts of the house, and the ethernet ports on them work fine to connect to the devices on the LANs.

I have seen some issues with a wireless client roaming from one xt8 to the other: it sometimes loses connectivity to the wired devices on the first xt8 for awhile --- I suspect a low-level routing cache needs to time out before it works again. I wonder if your issue was related to that, and packets were still being routed according to however the PC had been connected before. If so, perhaps if you'd waited a few more minutes things would have started to work. But I'm just guessing.

NätverksNils

New Around Here
Hi

Should Ethernet ports on xt8 work on node in AP mode with wireless backhaul? I bought a separate firewall to run opnsense on and configured the three xt8 that I have in access point mode. The xt8 connected to the opnsense firewall with Ethernet cable had a Synology NAS connected and that worked. I tried this about a month ago but could not connect with a pc to one of the xt88 nodes that uses wireless backhaul with ethernet cable. Wireless components could connect without problems.
Has anyone tried this?

Hi.
That wont work.
The operation mode you are describing is not AP-mode, that requires a cable connection from the dhcp-server to each broadcaster. What you are describing is Repeater mode, and you somehow have them connected to the xt8 that is connected to the firewall which wont work properly.
If you want to use them with OPNsense you need to connect all 3 with cable in real AP-mode or simply use the 3 as standalone mesh where one acts as the router/dhcp-server, no OPNsense.

tgl

Occasional Visitor
The operation mode you are describing is not AP-mode, that requires a cable connection from the dhcp-server to each broadcaster.
Sir, that is complete nonsense. I'm running two nodes in AP mode with wireless backhaul, and it works fine. (You do, probably, want a DHCP server somewhere --- but it doesn't have to be the XT8 unit, and it doesn't need wired connections to both of them.)
What you are describing is Repeater mode,
... although perhaps Repeater mode would work better? ASUS' documentation is sure not very clear about the differences between the modes. But the impression I have from their docs is that Repeater mode is for extending a wireless SSID that's originated by some non-ASUS router.

NätverksNils

New Around Here
Sir, that is complete nonsense. I'm running two nodes in AP mode with wireless backhaul, and it works fine. (You do, probably, want a DHCP server somewhere --- but it doesn't have to be the XT8 unit, and it doesn't need wired connections to both of them.)

... although perhaps Repeater mode would work better? ASUS' documentation is sure not very clear about the differences between the modes. But the impression I have from their docs is that Repeater mode is for extending a wireless SSID that's originated by some non-ASUS router.
1642408075238.png

The LAN-ports are dead because the system is not setup properly.
You are the one who talks nonsense. "You probably want a DHCP-server somewhere"? Yes you probably do want one, if you want internet.
And no you dont need to connect the AP´s to a xt8 i never said that, it can be any router brand as long as it is a router doing routing.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!