What's new

Should I use AiMesh?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

R G G

Regular Contributor
  • AX88U & AC68U
  • Environment: concrete walls, ~2000 sqft space
At the moment, I have no issues with speed. I'm getting 200 Mbps on 2.4ghz wifi 6 in even low coverage areas. It's a classic case of if it ain't broke don't fix it. But my question is, should I mesh the AC router onto my network, or will it degrade wifi experience. In other words, -70dbm AX 2.4ghz on 20 Mhz vs -50dbm AC 5ghz on 80 Mhz.

Keep in mind speed is not as important to me. For a stable connection with the lowest possible latency, which setup would you recommend?

Are you having the problems it's intended to solve?

At its core, all mesh is is WDS w/ roaming capabilities. IOW, repeaters that allow the user to transparently roam from AP to AP. But if you don't need repeaters, or you do but you don't have the problem of signal loss as users roam, then what's the point of mesh?

In my own case, I live in a newly constructed, two-story, open concept home of 3800 sq. ft, and a centrally located wireless router that puts out so much signal, the darn thing is reachable some 150 ft. up the road! 95% of my devices are stationary, w/ a couple of smartphones that are rarely more than 20-30 ft from the APs, and rarely get less than full signal. So mesh is utterly pointless.

OTOH, there are going to be ppl whose usage profile is completely different, such as someone w/ a large ranch, pool area, standalone shop, kids and friends roaming all over the property, etc., who will be well served by mesh.

Don't get sucked into embracing technology *just* for the sake of technology! Too many ppl jump on-board the latest and greatest developments just because "it's cool", only to unnecessarily complicate their lives.

JMTC

Last edited:
If you can't do it with a wired backhaul, I would say don't.

Getting 200Mbps at the worst locations is still great throughput. A single router (with the coverage you have) will always trump two wireless routers in AiMesh mode, for latency.

Repeater mode = wireless AiMesh

To best use, your RT-AC68U with the AX class router you have, use it in Media Bridge mode for any wired capable devices. This keeps them off the airwaves (individually) and should give a better connection too with an AC powered 3x3:3 'antennae' for each one you can connect.

Media Bridge Mode

If you can't do it with a wired backhaul, I would say don't.

To best use, your RT-AC68U with the AX class router you have, use it in Media Bridge mode for any wired capable devices. This keeps them off the airwaves (individually) and should give a better connection too with an AC powered 3x3:3 'antennae' for each one you can connect.

I have a CAT5 running to the bedroom, which I can use to backhaul. The cable is 100 foot long and ancient, seriously doubt it'll give me anything higher than the 100 Mbps it's rated for - but I'll try!

Thanks for the suggestion.

100' isn't that long. With any luck, you should get 1GbE speeds from it.

For comparison, I'm getting 2.5GbE speeds at 100' from Cat5e cable between 2 RT-AX86U's 2.5GbE Ports.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!