What's new

Shoutout for Medo's WRT Settings Utility - Bailed me out of failure!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheScotsman

Occasional Visitor
I just wanted to give a shoutout to @medo for his excellent WRT Settings utility - all these years later and it still works great. I'd managed to somehow screw up whitelisting a site that AIProtection blocked (TBC I think this was a "me" screwup, not a problem with Merlin) and wound up with no DNS resolution from any clients. A much older saved config fixed me right up, but was missing a bunch of my DHCP reservation info and the VPN configs. With WRT Settings I was able to export readable copies of both the old-working and new-busted configs, then drop those into diff to see what had changed. Loaded the busted config back up (breaking internet access again), used nvram to unset / set what appeared to be the offending variables, rebooted, and back up and running again.

Yes, I could've just reconfigured, but in this case it was easy to spot what was wrong in the config and just change on the fly - and worst cast, I still had the old backup to go back to. Nice tool - thank you @medo

Ref: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/wrt-settings.16992/

I just wanted to give a shoutout to @medo for his excellent WRT Settings utility - all these years later and it still works great. I'd managed to somehow screw up whitelisting a site that AIProtection blocked (TBC I think this was a "me" screwup, not a problem with Merlin) and wound up with no DNS resolution from any clients. A much older saved config fixed me right up, but was missing a bunch of my DHCP reservation info and the VPN configs. With WRT Settings I was able to export readable copies of both the old-working and new-busted configs, then drop those into diff to see what had changed. Loaded the busted config back up (breaking internet access again), used nvram to unset / set what appeared to be the offending variables, rebooted, and back up and running again.

Yes, I could've just reconfigured, but in this case it was easy to spot what was wrong in the config and just change on the fly - and worst cast, I still had the old backup to go back to. Nice tool - thank you @medo

Ref: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/wrt-settings.16992/
Or you could have just restored a last-known good backup and been back to a completely working setup in probably under a minute? Including JFFS, router cfg and external drive...