What's new

signs that it's time for a new router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

royarcher

Very Senior Member
lately I have it has become necessary to reset my rt ac 88 u,running merlin ,as download slows down from 90 something to about 20 something
I realise that it's probably a good idea to do an m@m full reset but I am wondering if this is a sign that the router is getting old or not . Also what are the signs that it is getting close to EOL ?

well...a full reset never hurts...but it Is nearing the top of the "supported" list on Merlin's website, right below the venerable ac68, so it might be on borrowed time before he/asus drop/push it off
look at the list below it - they're all HND. it seems that Asus (who tie Merlin's hands to an extent) have decided This Is The Way

I'd hedge for a while If I was thinking of buying a router in your position - ac86 can be found for good prices. that machine will tide you over until the wifi6e stuff is ironed out and merlinized and your collection of client devices catches up to wifi6

well...a full reset never hurts...but it Is nearing the top of the "supported" list on Merlin's website, right below the venerable ac68, so it might be on borrowed time before he/asus drop/push it off
look at the list below it - they're all HND. it seems that Asus (who tie Merlin's hands to an extent) have decided This Is The Way

I'd hedge for a while If I was thinking of buying a router in your position - ac86 can be found for good prices. that machine will tide you over until the wifi6e stuff is ironed out and merlinized and your collection of client devices catches up to wifi6
cool thanks for that . I didn't want to think that old faithful has seen it's day it's been so reliable for, imust be at least three years,( the years get blurred after the first 60 or so , I am waiting on a fan that I purchased to arrive,hopefully that will help her until I can afford to put her to sleep RIP ps i will wait for WiFi 6 and ax routers to become more user friendly, so to speak, thanks again

Last edited:
ok how would I check that?
As @degrub suggests, replace it. Search Amazon or your favorite etailer for an adapter with same power and voltage as the one you have. The main problem is the plug itself. This one is pricey, but it comes with all the tips you'd ever need. I use it for all router testing. Much more convenient than threading adapter cables through the octoBox turntable tube...