What's new

Silent / Very Quiet NAS recommendations

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chowk

New Around Here
I'm looking to purchase my first NAS and was hoping for some recommendations from the more knowledgable members.

I'm after a NAS that is either silent or very quiet. It'll be used at home for storing media, backup and streaming. I'm not constrained by a budget but ideally I'd like to keep the cost down.

I'd like to get either 2 - 4 bays, starting off with 2 x 1 TB drives (most likely Samsung F1's in a RAID mirror) and possibly upping it to 4 later on.

Is there a big difference in acoustics, going from 2 to 4 bays? If so, I'd definitely consider just getting a 2 bay NAS instead.

Currently I'm considering the Synology DS209+ but I'm really not sure what else is worth considering.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated - thanks!

Generally, the more drives, the more noise, just from drive noise alone.

The DS209+ and other Synology products generally have low noise, as do many others. Use the NAS Charts, filter for the desired features and click "Compare Features" to see noise ratings.

Whatever you do, make sure the drives you select are on the manufacturer's approved list. Very important if you are looking for a blissful relationship with your NAS.

I'm looking to purchase my first NAS and was hoping for some recommendations from the more knowledgable members.

I'm after a NAS that is either silent or very quiet. It'll be used at home for storing media, backup and streaming. I'm not constrained by a budget but ideally I'd like to keep the cost down.

I'd like to get either 2 - 4 bays, starting off with 2 x 1 TB drives (most likely Samsung F1's in a RAID mirror) and possibly upping it to 4 later on.

Is there a big difference in acoustics, going from 2 to 4 bays? If so, I'd definitely consider just getting a 2 bay NAS instead.

Currently I'm considering the Synology DS209+ but I'm really not sure what else is worth considering.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated - thanks!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!