What's new

Simple network for iPhone photo and video storage.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Saiyeidolien

New Around Here
I'm completely new to network storage, never something that I've really thought about until recently but now that I have two sons, a lot of photo's and videos of them my Wife and I would like to make sure we have a backup - to free up space and to keep them safe.
Would I be able to buy any external USB drive and connect it to my router, I'm using the Asus AX6000GT. I'm not certain that this will work, from what I've read so far online, the network drive can only be accessed through the iPhone's File manager app, which I don't believe allows the transfer of media.

simple - back them up to a pc of your choice, back those up to 2 different USB drives - 1 SSD and one spinning rust maybe.
change out the drives when access standards change over time and to refresh the drive as it gets old.

or back them up to icloud or similar online storage and keep a local copy just in case.

I'm completely new to network storage, never something that I've really thought about until recently but now that I have two sons, a lot of photo's and videos of them my Wife and I would like to make sure we have a backup - to free up space and to keep them safe.
Would I be able to buy any external USB drive and connect it to my router, I'm using the Asus AX6000GT. I'm not certain that this will work, from what I've read so far online, the network drive can only be accessed through the iPhone's File manager app, which I don't believe allows the transfer of media.
Why not just use iCloud storage on the phone? I looked into doing backups for myself but in the end realized paying the small fee each month and having Apple do it was way safer than me having a disaster and losing them all.

Why not just use iCloud storage on the phone? I looked into doing backups for myself but in the end realized paying the small fee each month and having Apple do it was way safer than me having a disaster and losing them all.
I understand what you’re saying but a family plan is $15 a month here, add that to all the other subscriptions most of us have nowadays, it all adds up and it’s something I’m trying to get away from. I might just get something from Synology, like the DS18Play but I figure I may wait for the Black Friday sales since those are just around the corner.

I understand what you’re saying but a family plan is $15 a month here, add that to all the other subscriptions most of us have nowadays, it all adds up and it’s something I’m trying to get away from. I might just get something from Synology, like the DS18Play but I figure I may wait for the Black Friday sales since those are just around the corner.
I don’t know where you’re located and didn’t realize it was that much. Our family plan is only $2.99 per month.

@Saiyeidolien

I currently have a DS-918+ for an Apple-centric Family. A Synology 2-drive would be a nice start for a NAS. The issue I warn you about is the desire to upgrade to a 4-drive or larger solution for a NAS ;)