What's new

Simple Router to 2 Asus in AP mode setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ryan92084

New Around Here
While not a complete ludite I have always been a simple modem/ONT->centralized consumer grade router/wireless router->switch man until now. Recently changed houses and that isn't really a good option for the new place. At one end we have the entertainment system with wired in and the other end is the office. Currently I'm just using an asus ax5700 to an old asus ac1900 in bridge mode (both running merlin) as a stop gap but the stability of the signal is far from ideal. What i'd like to do is pick up a router ( looks like TP-Link ER605 is a popular suggestion right now ) for the basement and connect it to the two asus units i currently have in AP mode at opposite ends/floors of the house which is a pretty simple setup. Our networking needs are also pretty basic with just a desktop, printer, couple of laptops, various mobile devices, and a sonos system on the network doing standard browsing, streaming, gaming, and remote desktop. As for questions:
  1. Is the ER605 a good fit for this or should be looking for something else?
  2. If possible what settings should i be using relatively seamless switching between the two asus in AP?
  3. Would replacing the ac1900 help with number 2 in a meaningful way?
  4. Should I scrap this plan go for setting up aiMesh with wired nodes instead?
I'm sure starting from scratch and doing something like wiring a bunch of ceiling access points in would be the better option but that isn't in the cards.

If you're using the RT-AC1900 in Media Bridge mode, keep in mind that the router doesn't need to be in the same room as the equipment wired to it (i.e. put it as close as possible, signal-wise, to the main router).

Also do the same location, position, and orientation adjustment to the main router too, to maximum the signal to that far Media Bridge.

I don't believe adding the TP-Link model you're suggesting will provide any useful benefits to your situation (unless, I'm not fully understanding your setup right now).

Do you have a simple diagram of your setup to help make your setup more clear?

Sorry for not explaining myself better. Trying to gain a wired connection to the office area as well as expand the wifi coverage in the house.
Untitled.png

Do you have more than a single Ethernet cable going to the AX5700? If you do, then a new router isn't required.

Simply add a $10 switch near the ONT (new router location) and connect one AX5700 LAN port to the switch, and the other end to the WAN of the AC1900.

If you do this, I would also switch the locations of the AX5700 and the AC1900 too (the best router gets the first shot at the best location (your 2nd floor).

AiMesh Ideal Placement

If you have coax running to those rooms, you may be able to use MOCA2.5 to provide the ethernet backbone for the house.
If the coax is unused currently, then straight forward with a couple moca modems and compatible ( or none or barrel connector if point to point ) splitter. If DOCCIS 3.1 is involved then need to do some planning/layout discussion. DOCCIS 3.0 should be fine until the ISP upgrades.

Do you have more than a single Ethernet cable going to the AX5700? If you do, then a new router isn't required.

Simply add a $10 switch near the ONT (new router location) and connect one AX5700 LAN port to the switch, and the other end to the WAN of the AC1900.

If you do this, I would also switch the locations of the AX5700 and the AC1900 too (the best router gets the first shot at the best location (your 2nd floor).

AiMesh Ideal Placement
I think this diagram illustrates your suggestion. Currently I have one going from the ONT to the WAN on the ax5700 and either 3 or 4 in the Lan ports. I'm unsure if i'll have enough ports if i switch to the ac1900 on the 1st floor ( i had honestly forgotten the ax5700 could even do 5) so I might need another switch if I did that.
I had thought of just running a cable from the 1st back through the basement and up but figured the shorter runs would be better. Is that what the switch in the middle is aiming to solve?
Untitled.png

If you have coax running to those rooms, you may be able to use MOCA2.5 to provide the ethernet backbone for the house.
If the coax is unused currently, then straight forward with a couple moca modems and compatible ( or none or barrel connector if point to point ) splitter. If DOCCIS 3.1 is involved then need to do some planning/layout discussion. DOCCIS 3.0 should be fine until the ISP upgrades.
Unfortunately no coax basically anywhere. Previous owners weren't a fan of cable I guess.

You almost have it. :)

The AX5700 would be the main router on the 2nd floor. It will get the WAN port connected to the ONT. One of the LAN ports will connect back down to the switch, and continue to the AC1900.

If you're able to run a cable (a quality brand, 100' of CAT5e cable will be sufficient for up to 2.5GbE LAN speeds) directly from the AX5700 on the second floor to the AC1900 on the first floor, that would be better (and you can save buying a switch to be used close to the ONT location too).

Where/how you run the cables will matter in how flexible you want your network architecture to be in the future.

For maximum flexibility, the ONT location seems like the best (from my perspective).

When you are running cables, always run as many as you can (now).

If the AX5700 offers enough signal to the Sonos and any other wireless devices in the TV/Gaming area, I would turn off the AC1900 radios too, and/or replace it with a switch instead.

When you test for having the AX5700 on the second floor, be sure to try different locations, and orientations (of the router and antennae), and attempt to have it as centrally as possible over the coverage areas required.

Do not have the AC1900 powered up when determining the best location for the AX5700.

Ah, yeah i guess that would make more sense and that solves the potential lan port issue in the tv room, now why didn't i think of that /facepalm. Going to have to see if i can get two cables up there but i guess If i can figure out the one then the second shouldn't be too bad. I think I have enough 550mhz cat6 that is UL listed and plenum rated from the previous home to cover this.
Any suggestions for a decent switch?

Last edited:
NetGear GS305 or GS308, depending on how many ports you need.

Is the ER605 a good fit for this or should be looking for something else?

ER605 is a business entry-level router, the cheapest Omada compatible. It makes sense if you go with Omada setup like this:

It is better Wi-Fi system than AiMesh, but the minimum configuration starts from like $450 and you already have Asus routers.

Personally, I would go with the router down near the ONT. From there I would run the wired connections up to where needed with a minimum of a 5 port switch in those areas that have multiple devices. Using POE you can then place AP's in those areas without having to use a Mesh device that requires to be near a power source.